Gas shortages?

Sleuth

Registered
Anyone hear why there are gas shortages? I went by one station with a line 5 blocks long, another with no gas, and then finally one with a bearable 20 car line...

Like uh, hmmmm hello?? Are you surprised?? Argentina is the land of shortages.......what about no $100 peso bills to pay jubilados right around Christmas, when money is needed most and right after a promise of $500 pesos per jubilado, and a sugar shortage "solo 1 paquete por persona" in the supermarkets, gee let's see what else is short, hmmmm, how about bananas up to $9,00 per kg, carrots $9,00 per kg, the supermarket was also out of cat food, and don't forget the electricity shortage. Hey if the government of Argentina was in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage. They would sell it all (en negro, no IVA or Ingresos Brutos and no factura) to Dubai to make another fake island (that would later sink into the ocean because the sand was the wrong kind).
¿Argentina Quo Vadis?
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001218507319&sk=wall

I filled up at YPF this afternoon. There was no line at 1:30, but there hardly ever is between 1 and 4 as everyone goes home for lunch (most retail businesses are closed).

After the fill up I went across the street to walmart. The limit on sugar was 2 kilos per per person, but everything I wanted to buy was in stock. I was even able to buy refried (black) beans in cans.

I can assure you there is no shortage of gas tonight where I live.:D

Davidglen77 said:
Like uh, hmmmm hello?? Are you surprised?? Argentina is the land of shortages.......what about no $100 peso bills to pay jubilados right around Christmas, when money is needed most and right after a promise of $500 pesos per jubilado, and a sugar shortage "solo 1 paquete por persona" in the supermarkets, gee let's see what else is short, hmmmm, how about bananas up to $9,00 per kg, carrots $9,00 per kg, the supermarket was also out of cat food, and don't forget the electricity shortage. Hey if the government of Argentina was in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage. They would sell it all (en negro, no IVA or Ingresos Brutos and no factura) to Dubai to make another fake island (that would later sink into the ocean because the sand was the wrong kind).
¿Argentina Quo Vadis?
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001218507319&sk=wall

The best description I have ever heard of the Argentine government is that they turn everything into nothing.

Another example is of course is the beef shortage fiasco engineered by the geniuses of the current government.

http://blogs.forbes.com/afontevecch...stry-set-to-rebound/?boxes=marketschannelnews

Steve, boy are you lucky, your case strengthens the case for moving OUT of Buenos Aires Capital Federal.......

Human nature is at work too. As soon as a shortage is rumoured, no end of people go out and panic buy stocks - creating a shortage. I wonder, David, how long before you sell out completely, if you were to put up a sign in your shop window saying, 'Candy Shortage - one bar per customer only.'

steveinbsas said:
I filled up at YPF this afternoon. There was no line at 1:30, but there hardly ever is between 1 and 4 as everyone goes home for lunch (most retail businesses are closed).

After the fill up I went across the street to walmart. The limit on sugar was 2 kilos per per person, but everything I wanted to buy was in stock. I was even able to buy refried (black) beans in cans.

I can assure you there is no shortage of gas tonight where I live.:D

Steve, convert that car to methane.

My understanding was the whole thing started because of a strike at one of the YPF refineries. While this did affect the supply at some YPF stations the other gas stations were supposedly not affected. Once the rumors started though, it was as if people thought a hurricane was coming and that definitely caused long lines and shortages. I live in Las Canitas and havent been able to get gas for 3 days now. Long lines at all the stations nearby and when there are no lines there are signs saying "out of gas."

elhombresinnombre said:
Human nature is at work too. As soon as a shortage is rumoured, no end of people go out and panic buy stocks - creating a shortage. I wonder, David, how long before you sell out completely, if you were to put up a sign in your shop window saying, 'Candy Shortage - one bar per customer only.'

¡Awesome idea!
However I still have a hard time lying and implementing shameful business practices like many businesses do here. I prefer to have people come to my store because they like shopping here and confide in my business. Not create a false emergency to get people to stockpile things and fuel angst.

My ex told me last night that she went looking for gas in the middle of the day on Tuesday and there were lines everywhere, so her plan was to go out at 11:00pm Tuesday night to buy her gas.

Well after driving around Tuesday night, she finally found a place with a line about 3 blocks long. Like a good Argentine, she got in the line. Then after ~1 1/2 hours, she got to the pump, which was quite fortunate because she was on "E"mpty.

It turns out that she burned off 1/4 Tank of gas waiting to fill up her tank. :rolleyes:

That's just AWESOME!!

I told her that she should have done what the Taxistas do over by Recoleta Cemetery (in front of Aroma/Freddo) and turned OFF her engine and then pushed the car a couple of meters whenever it was time to move forward. (Her car is small and light, so really some guy would have offered to help every time.)

So she bought an extra 1/4 tank that didn't need to be taken from the station just because there was a shortage. :D

Vamos Argentina!!!!!!

Back