Gems In San Telmo

ArielleCM

Registered
Hola! Just moved to San Telmo from Villa Crespo and I'm still feeling the lay of the land. Does anyone have some good recommendations regarding inexpensive super markets (I already have a few Chinese markets within walking distance but crave variety), restaurants, bars, events, and/or whatever else? I'd really appreciate it. :)

On Saturday mornings there's a green market on Balcarce Street between Mexico & Chile in San Telmo.
The street is closed off to traffic for it. It's a fun way to spend the morning.
Lots of fresh & cheap produce.

When I lived there that was the only downside, not a ton of supermarkets. Definitely take advantage of that market mentioned.
You always have the verdulerias inside the antique market (Defensa y Carlos Calvo)

Restaurants, there's a lot now...Chochan, Banco Rojo...the classics of Desnivel and La Brigada for good steak.
One of my favorite ice cream shops in the entire city is Nonna Bianca on Estados Unidos between Defensa and Bolivar.

Oh and great choripanes in the hole in the wall on Carlos Calvo between Defensa y Carlos Calvo

Bon Apetit

I second Chochan and Banco Rojo...add also Che Taco and Hierba Buena (although this one is not cheap, but you could split the brunch with another person, it's huge).

Krakow and Gibraltar are good bars to hang out. Gibraltar has a pool table in the back, pseudo-tournament style...winner keeps playing next in line.

Abuela Pan is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant at Chile 518 open every day except Saturday. They are closed at night. Their facebook page has their daily specials. They also deliver.

MARTES 13 DE OCTUBRE
PLATO 1) RISOTTO A LA TAILANDESA $ 72.00.- (VEGANO)
PLATO 2) TARTA DE BERENJENA Y TOMATE
CON ENSALADA SURTIDA $ 72.00.-
Y LOS PLATOS DE TODOS LOS DIAS !!
CONSULTAS: www.abuelapan.com

In terms of restaurants, definitely agree with Banco Rojo, and would also add La Cresta. The vegetable sandwich at Krakow is huge, and around $60 (including fries.) DeBar has great happy hour prices.

This may be a bit random, but the fruit / vegetable stand furthest to the northwest in the mercado always has a big selection of the freshest greens. Also, the bread at the panaderia on Bolivar between independencia / Chile is my personal favorite. Usually its still warm from the oven.

Also worth noting that the Hip Hop Culture Club is free before 2 on Thursdays. They just had Just Blaze in town, which was awesome.

Hidden gems is one of my favorite things about living in San Telmo in particular-- look forward to hearing what you find!

La Cresta, Banco Rojo, A los Bifes all near Bolivar and Independencia

Coffeetown in the San Telmo market for coffee- their food still needs improvement and is a bit pricey

There's a bagel and sandwich shop near Bolivar and Humberto Primo- can't remember the name of it though...

I second La Cresta, and the hole in the wall Choripan place.

Qulper1a Qu1lapan Defenca 1344 (my computer wont pr1nt the letter eye ) opened about month ago set lunch e1ghty 5 pesos 2 courses plus a glass of w1ne happy hour from 4 pm to 7pm 35peros for 2 chopps lovely place Google them (have to stop now no e1ght or cay on computer )

Back