Gendarmeria in Clarin/Cablevision

You make a very good point, but under such parameters , nothing is independent.
What if we were to switch the term 'independent' with 'opposing view point'?

In any case, if it was only about Clarin, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
It's the self pontificating & authoritarian style of this other 'Monopoly' called Government that troubles me most, this is December....if they are already raising the stakes now, imagine what they will do when the country goes on vacations in Jan?

French jurist said:
Dear Gentlewomen & men,
Let's not forget that Clarin was a minor stock holder in Goldman Sachs.
Isn't that great for independence of the news?!

Clarin/Cablevision/etc Group is too much a monopoly in my own view (but I'm not Argentinean... at least yet!)

French jurist said:
Dear Gentlewomen & men,
Let's not forget that Clarin was a minor stock holder in Goldman Sachs.
Isn't that great for independence of the news?!

Clarin/Cablevision/etc Group is too much a monopoly in my own view (but I'm not Argentinean... at least yet!)

And your point is?? I have (had) a lot of stock in Goldman as well. You going to send your armed goons to my house now?

JWB said:
And your point is?? I have (had) a lot of stock in Goldman as well. You going to send your armed goons to my house now?

tsss tsss tsss, you forgot to say "to one of my houses" :D

Monopoly or not , buissiness arnt in the uissiness of redistribuicion de la riqueza !
As such , they have every right to editorialize. This is not taken kindly buy the curent goverment.
Independence of news ? did you ever watch 678 ? Please ! , its mayor political propaganda. Can you imagine national public radio or PBS yammering on non stop in favor of any elected oficial or political party ?
I think here the elected goverment confuses "public radio" with " political party Radio"
I cannot under any circumstances condone nor accept what the goverment is doing to the oposition media and journalists critical of the current goverment.
It sets a dangerous precedent and endangers free speach .

notebook.fix said:
You make a very good point, but under such parameters , nothing is independent.
What if we were to switch the term 'independent' with 'opposing view point'?

In any case, if it was only about Clarin, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
It's the self pontificating & authoritarian style of this other 'Monopoly' called Government that troubles me most, this is December....if they are already raising the stakes now, imagine what they will do when the country goes on vacations in Jan?

Your post makes sense... I indeed wonder what will happen in January (traditional month for surprises). Que sera, sera!

Jurist,
In the spirit of exchange of ideas and debate I disagree with your view.
Saying that ck isnt perfect but that at least alot is done for the future.
The current administration is one i had great hopes for in 2007 , when i came back to this country.
I cannot say the same today.
I heard a simmilar rationalization buy a fella that once discussing some intendente , he said " such and such intendente steals , but he acomplishes too !" To wich I replied: " He steals" again , he interjected , "but he acompliches too !" to wich I AGAIN replied " He steals" and that fact just negates and cancels out anything positive he may do .
This is what I feel is being garanteed for the future because of the current policies:
If you are a corporation , be carefull . If you are a scoundrel like that Castillo guy from La salada , who is contributing to corruption , mafias , viloence and theft of intelectual property , by all means , carry on .
Social help is a great thing. But if you go ahead and preach that housing is garanteed in the constitution , make certain that you educate the masses that it doesn mean you can go ahead and squat on or sell property that isnt yours.
The educational system here has degraded incredibly. Argentina had a 97% litteracy rate , BEFORE the usa or even GB. That too is a thing of the past.
Human rights advances are a great thing that happened to this country , but it gets all cancelled out once you , in the name of politics , coopt that movement to your own gains.
( stepping off my soap box but now and reaching for the valium)

Just to let you guys know, one of the most ironic things about the hole Clarin/Cablevision deal is that it was the very Néstor Kirchner that signed the decree that allowed the fusion of Cablevision / Multicanal, which is now being denounced as a monopoly :D

It was in fact one of the last actions of Néstor as president, back when they were best friends with Clarin.

Yes, and as long as it goes Kirchner's way, all rules can be 'bent' or 'twisted' to suit the Dictatorship...this one just happened to come back to 'bite' the ass that fed it... How embarrassing.

If only Clarin the 'evil' monopoly had towed the line & behaved according to Nestor's grand plan, we could all now be one happy little sick & incestuous family, all agreeing & nodding in unison to her majesty's commands.

fedecc said:
Just to let you guys know, one of the most ironic things about the hole Clarin/Cablevision deal is that it was the very Néstor Kirchner that signed the decree that allowed the fusion of Cablevision / Multicanal, which is now being denounced as a monopoly :D

It was in fact one of the last actions of Néstor as president, back when they were best friends with Clarin.

Don't look here, look Britain and US and you will see Murdoch and his mob been questioned right now, forget Clarin is nothing compared to these monsters. Actually the British are looking in deep the reforms made here to combat the media monopoly and the laws introduced to make they own reforms to the media laws as well, so it's not only here this scourge it's everywhere.

Typical.

You & your Chavez worshiping buddies keep trying dredge up the specter of the big bad monopoly monster like the Fox news empire coming to eat Argentina alive...Clarin & the others are the supposed 'baby Fox' in the making...from whom only our Majesty can rescue us.

If all goes to your master's plan we should have no dissenting voices by this time next year. We will all be swallowing a daily diet of state approved Cronica & 678.... what a mouth watering thought it must be for you Lucas.

Here's your Messiah's latest move:
The AFIP has frozen La Nacion's Newspaper assets.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1434704-cont-inhiben-a-la-nacion-a-pedido-de-la-afip

What are they going to try to hide? What are we being prepared for? Why are they attacking our independent newspapers? Why do I get this uneasy feeling that something must be brewing in the dark?.

I heard that in Russia right now, there are no independent news services left.
And if a public broadcaster should step out of line, there's suddenly a large group of soldiers
that go in & ransack everything.

What's next? The Internet?

!Que olor a diKtadura!

Lucas said:
Don't look here, look Britain and US and you will see Murdoch and his mob been questioned right now, forget Clarin is nothing compared to these monsters. Actually the British are looking in deep the reforms made here to combat the media monopoly and the laws introduced to make they own reforms to the media laws as well, so it's not only here this scourge it's everywhere.

Back