General Advice For Currency Exchange

polostar88

Registered
I'm sure this has been covered before, but any advice on where you can find an office that exchanges dollars at a good rate? I'm not really sure how it works now. If anyone has some pointers please let me know, by PM if necessary.

Thanks!

You're right it has been covered before. This subject has been beaten to death. Please try using the search function: cuevas, money exchange, etc. They all bring up the results you're looking for.

It's usually a good idea to ask your neighbors or your doorman/portero for "Jewelry Store / Cambio Exchange Houses". We have two within a few blocks of our apartment. We call each to ask what their rate is for the day, and let them know we're calling the other place to ask what their rate is to see who has the better rate, just to keep them honest. We've never been passed a bad bill in either of these places. Good luck! Pete & Ron

I know the drill, but in general, how do the cuevas in Bs As pay as compared to other regions? I am heading over there soon and need to decide where to exchange.

- If the 'official' blue rate is for example 14.10-14.30 (venta-compra as currently on LaNacion), what is normally the actual rate you will get for your USD? Here in Patagonia it is often 40-50centavos below the compra.
- What is the penalty for bringing USD $20 notes instead of clean crisp $100 ones? Down here you might get another AR$ 0.5-1 less per USD.
- Do they have any minimum amount or give a better rate for larger amounts?

Thanks!

For me it has depended on the cueva.I had one that refused $20's, one that refused a $50 that had a very small pen mark, and then had another cueva accept both. I did get $.50 less for the $20. All of this in Tigre.

Spotless Franklins are by far the best bills to bring.
The rate differential from one cueva to the next is generally not critical unless you plan on exchanging an amount in excess of several thou, however, there is a cueva (in a travel agency as usual) in a mini-mall on Posadas in the rear of the Hotel Alvear that has been reliably correct in its rates.
You may get a slightly better rate if you exchange a large amount at one time, i.e., $1000 USD may get you like .10-.20 pesos more per USD than if you changed 100 USD. Until recently the ever increasing rate would have been reason not to do that, but the blue price has been dropping - that's like the sun rising in the west and setting in the east...but who knows how long that trend continues.

Guys thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!
One more thing...anyone have any idea on a secure way to keep cash in Argentina especially in a hotel? I've never had problems before, but now I'm getting paranoid about keeping money in the hotel and stuff like that until I find an apt.; are foreigners' rooms being targeted for this somehow? Any way to get around it? There usually isn't in my experience, but curious to know if anyone has tips.

best way to exchange is with rich local friends who have a bundle of pesos on them, who are happy to give the exact dollar blue rate as listed on infobae.com.ar on a given day. ( since when they go to buy dollars at a cueva, they end up paying even worse).

Back