Generation Z and Argentine Election

MilHojas

Registered

He can’t stop coughing/working 12-hour-long shifts/he makes two meager coins a day to support a family of four/and don’t talk to me about meritocracy, don’t be funny, don’t screw with me/because without opportunities/that mierda doesn’t work.

He can’t stop coughing/working 12-hour-long shifts/he makes two meager coins a day to support a family of four/and don’t talk to me about meritocracy, don’t be funny, don’t screw with me/because without opportunities/that mierda doesn’t work.

And I guess that 30% of the population that was poor under Cristina never felt this way or suffered? Wow! Macri invented poverty in Argentina. How quickly we forget about the poor under the K govts, but the Ks controlled for the most part the social organizations, so those organizations weren't going to hit the streets not the airwaves like they do now. What a short memory we have.

Cristina has said that she is going to make people happy again. Do you think that 30% that was poor was happy? Never been poor but I can't imagine that it brings a lot of happiness. And yes, I know there is more poverty under Macri. No lectures on that point are necessary.

Macro is widely critized for saying his goal was poverty zero. Cristina has said people have a right to be happy again, basically saying FF will make them happy. Sounds like a campaign promises to me. I hope people remember that when everyone is not happy under FF, when there are still poor people. They will be able to blame that phenomenon on Macri only so long, especially since Macri inherited 30% of those poor people from Cristina.

Last edited:
Macri´s sh** is better than Kristina´s sh** (nonetheless it is sh**). We all got that.

Time you do something meaningful about it, if you can.
Or kick back, relax, please.

We deserve a break, one way or the other, please.

We do deserve a break from post like yours, the kind about how you can't talk about something like racism as it occurs in one place unless you've first talked about how much more it ocurrs in other places. Remember that stings of winning posts?

You can kick back, relax and be braindeadOA, if you wish.

And I guess that 30% of the population that was poor under Cristina never felt this way or suffered? Wow! Macri invented poverty in Argentina. How quickly we forget about the poor under the K govts, but the Ks controlled for the most part the social organizations, so those organizations weren't going to hit the streets not the airwaves like they do now. What a short memory we have.
Not sure what Stan is saying here except 'Macri may be bad but K is full of empty promises. Nobody could doubt that with the simply enormous IMF albatross round Argentina's neck (shot by Macri) the prospects for the next few years is bleak. Surely that is not the fault of the Ks who inherited a similar situation when they first came to power and for some years were effective in turning that around.

Difficult to disagree that Argentina has a long term problem of low productivity and poor economic performance which is coupled with something else: a pronounced bias in this country towards growing inequality before the Kircheners.
" Per capita GDP in 2004 was at about the same level as in 1974. Nevertheless, poverty was much higher in 2004, reflecting an increasingly unequal distribution of income. Remarkably, the rise in inequality, and poverty, was observed in periods of both growth and recession". The Ks did introduced major social programmes that ameliorated that poverty and inequality, as well as presiding over a remarkable economic recovery in the early 2000s. That later tailed off into the mediocre performance that has been characteristic and a lapse into the higher inflation that the Ks inherited and suppressed for some years. Macri has not only been a disastrous manager of the economy in terms of output, inflation and unemployment but the prospects are poorer than for some time. There was an initial decline in poverty (not inequality) in 2016-18 though it is now steeply rising.

So yes its possible to have a conversation Stantucker but what is it you really want to say except you don't like the Peronists and admire the conservative-liberals even if their record is so poor even in those areas where they came to power claiming superior competence over the Peronists?

While the Ks did many things right during a very critical time here, we are going to have to agree to disagree on how successful they were ultimately, especially in terms of providing long term solutions for the country. I am not going to go into why I don't think they were as successful as others think because I've and others with a similar point of view have stated that ad nauseum on other threads. I posted in this thread because it scares me when I hear folks here and elsewhere pinning for the good old K days and the return to policies that ultimately were not what the country needed and kept many people impoverished.

While the Ks did many things right during a very critical time here, we are going to have to agree to disagree on how successful they were ultimately, especially in terms of providing long term solutions for the country. I am not going to go into why I don't think they were as successful as others think because I've and others with a similar point of view have stated that ad nauseum on other threads. I posted in this thread because it scares me when I hear folks here and elsewhere pinning for the good old K days and the return to policies that ultimately were not what the country needed and kept many people impoverished.

Ok fair enough though the suggestion that it was K policies that 'kept many people impoverished' needs some demonstration, more particularly given what I had shown about the very long term and increasing bias towards inequality in Argentina (including compared to other Latin Am countries in these years) and the effective K policies in offsetting poverty for millions of poorer people.

Ok fair enough though the suggestion that it was K policies that 'kept many people impoverished' needs some demonstration, more particularly given what I had shown about the very long term and increasing bias towards inequality in Argentina (including compared to other Latin Am countries in these years) and the effective K policies in offsetting poverty for millions of poorer people.

Cristina's last term was plagued with:

- Negative GDP growth
- Double-digit inflation
- Large fiscal deficits
- Exchange controls
- An increase in poverty

Are these the makings of a solid economic plan that will free people from poverty?

"But things are worse under Macri."

Indeed they are — the numbers don't lie.

So, the solution is to bring back someone who was an absolute disaster?

Back