Get your SUBE Card Now, or Pay More for Transport

sesamosinsal

Registered
According to a commercial running on the TV networks, those without the SUBE card will not be given the subsidized ticket prices for the subway and buses. It's unclear how much the prices will go up for people not using SUBE. It's also unclear if the Monedero will continue to receive subsidized ticket prices.

To get your SUBE card (they're free!), you'll need to go to Plaza Miserere, Constitución, Retiro, or Federico Lacroze. I assume they're all located in the subway stations.

I got my card months ago at Corrientes and Pueyrredón showing just a copy of my passport. (I did not need a DNI) They had a small kiosk there to register right at the corner of the street. Supposedly they have other mobile kiosks throughout the city.

Source

Isnt thre some controversy in getting it refilled ? I had heard that subway workers refused to refill the card , citing "tendonitis"

Think this is a great idea, encourages people to go out and buy the cards and hopefully may improvethe coins problem!?

Fabe said:
Isnt thre some controversy in getting it refilled ? I had heard that subway workers refused to refill the card , citing "tendonitis"

This is correct. It is my belief that they are inventing anything to stop the government from blanquear the subsidies. I posted about this on the forum previously, but the bus companies and subway fat cats are stealing millions upon millions of pesos per year. Essentially, the transportation companies tell the government how many people ride the subway, train, or whatever in a sworn declaration. Of course they make up the number. The government takes their word, and hands out the money like it's candy.

The SUBE is the government's attempt to control the subsidies, which is something that I commend CFK for doing. Subsidies will only be given to those who actually ride the subway or the buses, not some number that the companies invent.

Initially, I think they will get everyone to sign up for the card. After that, they still slowly start to take away subsidies for those they don't think need them.

The goverment has its own reasons to hand out those subsidies , mainly support , votes etc.
Bus companies were putting less and less buses out on the street becasue they figured they didnt have to , they were making a killing reselling the deisel fuel on the black market.
But this is part and parcel to the way the political machinery works here. Only those intendentes that "tow the party line" are given any monies for infrastructure.
The argentina trabaja initiative turned into a disaster. It was supposed to put people to work , but corruptos in the minucipalidades sell the jobs for a percentage of these peoples salaries in the form of a kickback .
I really cant see ANY transportation company "needing" subsidies of any kind.
And you are correct , the card makes accountability de facto. But Im sure they will find a way to fudge the numbers , electronicly or otherwise

Fabe said:
I really cant see ANY transportation company "needing" subsidies of any kind.

And this is the view of the government as well. The Transport Secretary, Juan Pablo Schiavi, has repeatedly said that they want to subsidize people, and not companies. The SUBE card allows for them to do this.

One could only criticize CFK for waiting as long as she did to implement SUBE. If my memory serves me correctly, CFK announced plans for SUBE after her election in 2007. It wasn't until January 2011 that the government really began to pursue it.

Nope somewhere in 2009 and she said it would work everywhere in 3 months But the companies didnt help her and waited to the last possible cut-off date

So when will monedero cards stop being interchangeable? In February as well?

Today I had an epiphany: public transportation in BA and suburbs is very good, really. We only need more buses with A/C; traveling in the 132 or the two-floor new trains in the Sarmiento line is a delight, I almost do not feel the trip. And people look more sedated, the trains are not being destroyed, I can watch the news in the screens installed (sometimes), it feels so much more civilized. The SUBE is the best transport-related thing that happened to me in 2011.

Back