Getting A SUBE card etc

Vine2Wine

Registered
Hi there,

I have a problem I'm hoping I can be helped with. I lost my SUBE card which I acquired back in 2012 when I first came to BA, and although I used on the many trips back since, I could not find it when I was coming this time. As I will be here for an extended stay, i really need to have The card, but with the new registration process for existing cards etc., I am slightly at a loss as to what the best way to get a New Card here, and then register it.

One of the problems I have is that I am staying just outside the City in Avellaneda, and need to take a bus or train into the city if I want to head that way - Now, I can always get a taxi/uber to wherever I need to go to, but does anyone know where the best place to go is.

Question One - Where do I buy the SUBE Card from these days (Any Station?)

Question Two - What do I need to purchase the card besides money- Passport?

Question Three - How do I register the card, as I understand you cant do it online as an expat without a DNI - Do you need to go to one of the centres at Retiro, Constitucion or Recoleta Mall which I have read seem a possibility.

Thanks you in anticipation of any helpful replies....

L

I am staying just outside the City in Avellaneda, and need to take a bus or train into the city if I want to head that way....

Question One - Where do I buy the SUBE Card from these days (Any Station?)

Question Two - What do I need to purchase the card besides money- Passport?

Question Three - Do you need to go to one of the centres at Retiro, Constitucion or Recoleta Mall which I have read seem a possibility.
(1) Punto SUBE
AGENCIA DE LOTERÍA
MITRE BME. AV. 634 (AVELLANEDA)
08:00 A 21:00 HS

(2) Only pesos $$$
(3) Sucursal Avellaneda (Avellaneda): Guemes 835, de Lunes a Viernes de 08:00 a 17:00 hs.
OR in CABA at Estacion Retiro, Estacion Constitucion, Estacion Once, Recoleta Urban Mall

(1) Punto SUBE
AGENCIA DE LOTERÍA
MITRE BME. AV. 634 (AVELLANEDA)
08:00 A 21:00 HS

(2) Only pesos $$$
(3) Sucursal Avellaneda (Avellaneda): Guemes 835, de Lunes a Viernes de 08:00 a 17:00 hs.
OR in CABA at Estacion Retiro, Estacion Constitucion, Estacion Once, Recoleta Urban Mall
Gracielle - Thank you so much for this, I will endeavour to head up and see what I can do. Really appreciate this... L

Step One achieved, card safely purchased - Monday I will head to the Municipaliadad on Guemes to see if I can register it. Failing that, now I have teh card, I can get the collectivo to Constitucion. Great help

Register SUBE via whatsapp

Send a message to +54 1166777823 on WhatsApp.
The SUBi chatbot will respond to you and you have to choose option 1 from the start menu.
Indicate if you need to register or if you already have a user. You must also clarify whether you receive a Social Discount or not.
From there, the SUBi chatbot will continue indicating the process to follow in each case.

I check SUBE online regularly to know how much is left on the card. Recently I noticed a charge for a ride on the 124 bus for $300.78. I looked up the route online to know where it runs in the city, because I know that in 25 years in the city I have never been on that bus line. I inquired at a subte station who to contact about this error, and how it was possible. Today I called the 0800 number on the SUBE website (which is no help whatsoever). The call is automated by pressing numbers after rapid instructions, so I never got to ask a real person the question, "how was I charged for a ride I didn't take, on a bus line that isn't in my neighborhood?"

I've had my card since it was issued to me on January 31, 2012. I know the bus lines and subway numbers I use. This is the first time in 12 years that a charge for a ride on the 124 has been made on my card that I never took . Strange.

After twelve years using my SUBE in the city, another person's ride ends up on my account. I'm not going to make a bill deal about this, but if I see more charges for rides that I didn't take, I will start asking questions and print out the record of rides for proof.

I'm writing about this in case others happen to notice charges for rides they didn't take.

I check SUBE online regularly to know how much is left on the card. Recently I noticed a charge for a ride on the 124 bus for $300.78.

I'm writing about this in case others happen to notice charges for rides they didn't take.
Yesterday as I was driving in a car my phone often beeped and automatically opened the SUBE app. Finally I realized it was when I was near a bus and perhaps also the phone was near my wallet containing my SUBE card.. I think the app wanted me to approve a transaction. Instead I quickly turned off NFC.

Last edited:
Yesterday as I was driving in a car my phone often beeped and automatically opened the SUBE app. Finally I realized it was when I was near a bus and perhaps also the phone was near my wallet containing my SUBE card.. I think the app wanted me to approve a transaction. Instead I quickly turned off NFC.
This is very odd, NFC is supposed to have a maximum range of 20cm, and in practice 5cm has been reported. And the communication would be between the payment terminal on the bus, and the card being held up against it.

You were definitely further from the bus than 20cm. And you also don't have to approve SUBE payments on a bus with your app. It would be interesting to know what was going on, more than just SUBE cards use NFC now.

This is very odd, NFC is supposed to have a maximum range of 20cm, and in practice 5cm has been reported. And the communication would be between the payment terminal on the bus, and the card being held up against it.

You were definitely further from the bus than 20cm. And you also don't have to approve SUBE payments on a bus with your app. It would be interesting to know what was going on, more than just SUBE cards use NFC now.
I agree. I did not have time or ability to diagnose better since I was driving. The binging noise, and the app popping in front of the map driving directions was confusing, The last time it happened a bus was besides the car so disabling NFC was the best action I could take. Possible that my wallet close to the phone was the real culprit. I had traveled via bus earlier in the day so the sube app would have been active though minimized.

Back