Getting around DNI with Flights

legilber

Registered
I know I've read it on here before, but I can't for the life of me find the thread that discussed how to get around the "tourist cost" of flying. It's so much cheaper for residents! I think I remember someone saying if you check in online, you can pass the gates and there is no need to show your DNI card. Am I correct? Thanks in advance!

I know some people recently who booked internal flights through LANs website in Chile, checked in online, printed their own boarding passes and just cruised through check in without anyone asking for DNIs.

When you check in they ask for your DNI ( or other I.D..) so you wil be caught there...!!!:D 50-50 chance!!

I think you might be able to avoid that by doing online check-in, and only taking hand luggage.

Its a gamble I guess, but there's at least a chance of getting cheap tickets :D

ok, I thought that was the process of using LAN Chile and then walking by, but I wanted to make sure. I think I'll go for it!! Although, a blonde, blue-eyed girl may not look like your average resident. Then again, I'm awesome at playing the "dumb tourist" when need be. Thanks!

@legilber ... the "tourist costs" is only a mythos right now nothing more. Your race or color doesn't matter. But sorry many "gringos" are a little bit stupid and often pay higher prices even they don't need to do it.

You can book your flight with each airline like Aerolineas, LAN, Gol, Pluna, ... whatever you want for same price as an Argentine will do it. It doesn't matter if you will use your DNI or Passport as your document reference. There will not happen nothing at the check in.

Only difference between DNI and Passport is that you will be much faster with DNI if you will coming back to Argentina at Migraciones. But be sure that your DNI have been renewed because if not you need to show your passport too.

schef4711 said:
@legilber ... the "tourist costs" is only a mythos right now nothing more. Your race or color doesn't matter. But sorry many "gringos" are a little bit stupid and often pay higher prices even they don't need to do it.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
Argentines and foreign permanent residents pay a lot less for internal flights. I've taken a lot of internal flights, the last time being a couple of weeks ago, and I've been asked to prove my residency EVERY time - both at the travel agency and at check-in.

Whether the 'check in on-line' ruse will work or not I couldn't say - I've never had a need to try it!

schef4711 said:

I believe others have posted in the forum that they were charged the difference at check in, but I don't recall the details.

schef4711 said:
You can book your flight with each airline like Aerolineas, LAN, Gol, Pluna, ... whatever you want for same price as an Argentine will do it. It doesn't matter if you will use your DNI or Passport as your document reference. There will not happen nothing at the check in.

If you go on line and book a flight from BA to Bahia Blanca (or any other domestic destination) with Aerolinas and you will see that there really are different prices for non-residents. Perhaps a 9 digit USA passport number will not be accepted in the space provided for an 8 digit DNI but this is not something I've tried. If you successfully book on line and can print out a boarding pass, it may indeed be possible to board without checking in and possibly having to pay the higher fare, but they do exist. The gate agents probably aren't looking at the numbers of the DNI or passport or even the expiration date of a foreigner's visa...just the name of the passenger.

schef4711 said:
Only difference between DNI and Passport is that you will be much faster with DNI if you will coming back to Argentina at Migraciones. But be sure that your DNI have been renewed because if not you need to show your passport too.

Perhaps it isn't necessary to show a passport when returning from another Mercosur country, but it certainly is when arriving from any other foreign destination.

When you purchase a ticket on LAN, this is what it says----

"IMPORTANT: These fares are only available to RESIDENTS of Argentina, in accordance with article four of Resolution 35/2002 by the Ministry of Production's Secretary of Transportation. In the event that a passenger is not a resident, he or she can purchase tickets at some of LAN.com's international sites. When boarding, the passenger will be asked to provide documentation confirming his or her residency. A passenger with a ticket for this class will not be boarded if her or she fails to provide said documentation."

Eh, I think I'll take my chances! I'm just assuming that if I check in online, I could just show a photo ID and they'll let me by. Chances are they won't be looking at the cost of the flight. Wish me luck!

So,

My girlfriend is from Bariloche, I am from the states. We recently flew together, purchasing tickets at the LAN storefront in Bari, paying separately. I definitely PAID MORE for my ticket then she did. Around $75 USD more than she. I do not yet have my residency, and would need to agree that Gringos DO pay more, at least before being an established resident.

Thoughts?,

K

Back