Getting around DNI with Flights

I just booked a flight from BS to Mendoza for 500 some odd pesos. It never asked for my DNI, which means they would definitely ask for it at the gate. When I went through the international website the same flight was over $300 USD. So it most certainly is cheaper for residents to fly within the country.

Alzinho said:
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
Argentines and foreign permanent residents pay a lot less for internal flights.

Temporary residents also qualify for the lower fares, but only with a DNI.

Alzinho said:
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
Argentines and foreign permanent residents pay a lot less for internal flights. I've taken a lot of internal flights, the last time being a couple of weeks ago, and I've been asked to prove my residency EVERY time - both at the travel agency and at check-in.

Whether the 'check in on-line' ruse will work or not I couldn't say - I've never had a need to try it!

I can tell you my experiance and from my friends. We never was asking for a residency at any check-in (not at Ezeiza not at Aeroparque). It could be at travel agency but I like to book online because each travel agency will cash you up and you can safe a lot of money if you book online.

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps it isn't necessary to show a passport when returning from another Mercosur country, but it certainly is when arriving from any other foreign destination.

If your DNI is valid and renewed it isn't any problem. But mostly if you are coming from Paraguay they will ask for passport too !!! On the airport in Asuncion you can't get in with only DNI.

Mercosur is for goods (like first EWR in Europe) but still not ready for passengers. So you never can cross the border only with the DNI if you have a "DNI Extranjero" less if you are coming back to the issued country ;)

steveinbsas said:
Temporary residents also qualify for the lower fares, but only with a DNI.

I travelled with my 'Residencia de Precaria', (BsAs - Salta) but when i was booking the flight by telephone (as i was paying with a foreign credit card) they said that my expiry date was before the flight and therefore i could not book until i had renewed it. I did not want to miss out on the offer so a travel agent friend did it without problems.
So, the DNI was not an issue, just the proof of residency, dates etc.

To back up what others said - at the airport they looked at my passport to see my name etc. but never asked for the residency papers.

i flew from BS to ushuaia in march, booked online, with just my NZ passport, and at local/residents price - i have a rentist visa. From what i remember i just added a couple of zeros or something when i had to put in passport details, as it came up with not enough numbers or something.. the only problem i had was i couldnt use my NZ credit card for the transaction, so i printed out the booking reference and then went to the local aerolinas office in san isidro and paid for, and picked up my ticket.

OK, just got back from Mendoza. No more of this "my friend of a friend" business. I booked online through Lan.com and signed into the argentina site. Paid my flight with my with a foreign credit card and got the residents cost. I checked in online the day of my flight and basically strolled through security no questions asked. Your ticket doesn't show any costs, so they really can't look at much more than that. You can show your passport and it's not a big deal. Getting around the system feels so good!

Back