Getting Dollars Or Euros In Argentina Immediately

Not quite black (blue) market more card (tarjeta) rate, but most of us use Zoom (USA) or Azimo (UK) to receive blue rate dollars in pesos here.
The company that works for both at this end is called ArgenPer.

Xoom does not pay blue rate, though it's still a premium over the official rate. In an exchange yesterday, I got 9.7075. Interestingly, my contractor had some difficulty getting it because her surname is identical to that of a high government official.

Not quite black (blue) market more card (tarjeta) rate, but most of us use Zoom (USA) or Azimo (UK) to receive blue rate dollars in pesos here.
The company that works for both at this end is called ArgenPer.
Also RiaMoneyTransfer.com works well, usually has a better exchange rate than xoom and lower fees.

Xoom does not pay blue rate, though it's still a premium over the official rate. In an exchange yesterday, I got 9.7075. Interestingly, my contractor had some difficulty getting it because her surname is identical to that of a high government official.

So it is falling steadily, I got 9.9 last week, you got 9.7 yesterday, and they gave me 9.6 today

Most people I know here personally get their money down here in a combination among three different means:

1) They bring back cash when they go the States.

2) They have friends who are going to, or are in, the States who bring back money for them - transfer money to the friend's bank or pay him or her pesos when they get here.

3) They know someone down here who has pesos and wants dollars. To differentiate from #2, you would be talking about people down here who earn a LOT of pesos (an owner of a hot business, for example). A business might convert those pesos into dollars (arbolitos and cuevas need pesos - that's where they get a lot of them, though usually on the scale of a number of somewhat-successful businesses trying to survive, but there are the occasional booming businesses) because there are so many and they don't want even a week's loss of value in the peso. I won't get into publicly why that benefits the company who's already bought dollars. Most can probably figure it out.

I only know one guy who goes to Uruguay to pull out his money there. Relatively costly and time-consuming.

I don't know anyone personally who would use Xoom or particularly Western Union, to get money down here except in the most dire of needs. But most of the guys I know are well-established down here, from more than a decade to no less than five years, or are really good friends with someone here already and gets the ropes shown to them quickly. It takes time to learn the ropes and make the contacts most times.

Many of us who earn our salaries from outside the country, or have money outside the country in one fashion or other, denominated in dollars or euros, spend an inordinate amount of time chasing our tails accomplishing this. It's not a huge percentage of our time overall, but compared to walking down the street and taking pesos out of the cash machine it's significant. Oh, for the days when that was possible and all people were bitching about were the fees the machines or the banks charged us. I weep at night thinking about it. Heh.

I can hear a number of you out there thinking "poor boy." I feel so much sympathy for those who earn their money is pesos. I'm the only one in my married-into extended family who does and I watch them struggle every day with the rising prices and the weakening of the peso; meanwhile the government tries to clamp down and, no matter the mid- to long-term consequences, does every stupid thing in the book to try to manipulate the market to keep them a few more days in power. I can't believe anyone in the government, at this point, thinks there's a happy ending around the corner. And here I, as well as many of us (at least who I know), live within blocks of a huge reservoir of thousands or poor people in Villa 31 who could be moved to stir like hornets in the right depressive circumstances.

That's the real meaning of the black/blue market. Greed and relative inhumanity on a large scale (per-capita) and the effects it has on a lot of people in a lot of ways. The market itself is just an indicator, as always - as well as a tool for those who can use it.

I love the photo of Starbucks in the background. As if some idiot is going to ask for $5,000 US to be delivered to them there while they're enjoying a Frapuccino only to get robbed as soon as they leave Starbucks.

Argenper will do this and give you a ever so slightly lower rate than the blue plus a 4% fee if you can get it to their Bank of America account. They give it to you in pesos of course.

Argenper will do this and give you a ever so slightly lower rate than the blue plus a 4% fee if you can get it to their Bank of America account. They give it to you in pesos of course.
That is interesting! When I used Ria I also got the money paid out by Argenper.

these boys are now in the feria de San Telmo with a sign, in German, advertising that their service.
I´m AMAZED that they haven´t been robbed yet, as they say here, "por gil".

these boys are now in the feria de San Telmo with a sign, in German, advertising that their service.
I´m AMAZED that they haven´t been robbed yet, as they say here, "por gil".

Isn't weired ... dealing with those guys and Arbolitos so far ... have a safer cleaner record than dealing with Banks.

As an extra ... they treat you like a customer ... Banks don't.

Isn't weired ... dealing with those guys and Arbolitos so far ... have a safer cleaner record than dealing with Banks.

As an extra ... they treat you like a customer ... Banks don't.

I've been doing business on and around Florida for about 7 years now. I've never gotten a single counterfeit note that anyone's notice (including myself).

I've gotten two counterfeit 100s from an ATM back when you could pull pesos out without throwing away money.

You're absolutely right on all counts.

Back