Getting married in Argentina.

All of the above advice is spot on. As for the blood test ... I asked my Argentine friends what it was for when I got married. They all laughed and said it was to check to see if you are a capitalist. I laughed too, thinking it was a joke. :)

GS_Dirtboy said:
I laughed too, thinking it was a joke. :)

It wasn't a joke. Our blood came out positive for "capitalists" and they rescinded my wife's citizenship.:rolleyes:

Oh and to the OP, I wasn't asked for the birth certificate and I got married in the Capital. So maybe it depends on who the secretary is or something.

The day you can count on what EXACTLY you need in terms of documentation, please let me know so we can ask CFK to declare that day as a holiday.

My advice is to prepare all the documents that you can and then show them what they need at the time. I am sure you will need the rest of those documents at one time or another later.

wow, that's great about BA... I will look into that. Could it really be for all marriages? Or maybe just between same sex foreigners who can't get married in their countries? I am marrying an Argentinian girl from a different province... someone said that Argentinians have to marry at their own registro civil, but that can't be the case, can it??

Yup, that is the case. Sorry, didn't know she was a resident of some other province. All the information I gave you is for the city of Buenos Aires. Changing the address on the DNI isn't that hard, however. Your would-be wife can "move in" for a couple of days at one of her relatives or take a utility bill belonging to a residence in the city (worked for our portero) and show it to them. They will change the address and then you guys can get married in the city.

Congratulations on the great news! And ... make sure you understand the marriage laws here. Nobody wants to think about it and I hate to bring it up with your pending celebration but the laws here regarding seperation and divorce (if that were to ever come about) are probably different than "back home."

As someone who moved here to be with the one he loved, got married here, and has enjoyed all the great things about that kind of "international" relationship and endured all the negatives as well, I wish you both the very best.

Does anyone have any further confirmation that you do/do not need a birth certificate? I am currently here and to get my birth certificate mailed from back home is a pain (I need to have a notarized request for a certified copy) and then if I want it apostille that is entirely different level of junk I need to do.

Any word on recent marriages with a foreigner and a local? Thanks for your help.

I tied the Argy knot a year ago , from memory all the above advice is accurate.

I had a lot more trouble with the church, god forbid they marry someone who can't prove they were baptized!!

I got married at the Registro Civil in Belgrano (on Cabildo) last week. My husband is Argie, I'm American. We made the appointment a month in advance and I had to come in for a Spanish "test" to see if I needed a translator or not. The lady asked me these questions (in Spanish): "why did you come there today?", "what are you doing in BsAs"?, "how long have you been here?", then some simple questions as she was filling out our paperwork, such as age, but otherwise she just used my passport for other info. I passed this test!

We were given a list of hospitals we could go to to get a blood test, so we went for the blood test exactly one week before our wedding, and picked up the results a couple of days before the wedding. Actually, three days before the wedding we needed to bring the DNIs of our two witnesses, along with my passport and my husband's DNI. Since we didn't have the blood results back yet (since Monday was a holiday), we took a paper as proof that we had gone in for the blood test and were awaiting the results, then the day before the wedding we took the blood results to the Registro Civil.

The blood test and results were a joke. I can't remember the exact prices, but I think the actual blood test was around $70 pesos, then when we went to get the results, we had to pay for a consultation, something around $120 pesos. The consultation was 1 minute long as the doctor told us we were negative for syphilis and that was it.

So all in all, as a foreigner, I just needed my passport with a valid tourist stamp (which they did check).

The ceremony was fast! We were the last scheduled ceremony of the day, so it started an hour late, but went quickly. The judge asked where we met, then proceeded with saying a few words, we stood up, exchanged rings, kissed, signed a registry book, then the judge left and we stayed in the room and took a few pictures. Remember to bring your passport and your spouse's DNI to the ceremony, along with your witness's DNIs.

I got married at the Registro Civil in Belgrano (on Cabildo) last week. My husband is Argie, I'm American. We made the appointment a month in advance and I had to come in for a Spanish "test" to see if I needed a translator or not. The lady asked me these questions (in Spanish): "why did you come there today?", "what are you doing in BsAs"?, "how long have you been here?", then some simple questions as she was filling out our paperwork, such as age, but otherwise she just used my passport for other info. I passed this test!

We were given a list of hospitals we could go to to get a blood test, so we went for the blood test exactly one week before our wedding, and picked up the results a couple of days before the wedding. Actually, three days before the wedding we needed to bring the DNIs of our two witnesses, along with my passport and my husband's DNI. Since we didn't have the blood results back yet (since Monday was a holiday), we took a paper as proof that we had gone in for the blood test and were awaiting the results, then the day before the wedding we took the blood results to the Registro Civil.

The blood test and results were a joke. I can't remember the exact prices, but I think the actual blood test was around $70 pesos, then when we went to get the results, we had to pay for a consultation, something around $120 pesos. The consultation was 1 minute long as the doctor told us we were negative for syphilis and that was it.

So all in all, as a foreigner, I just needed my passport with a valid tourist stamp (which they did check).

The ceremony was fast! We were the last scheduled ceremony of the day, so it started an hour late, but went quickly. The judge asked where we met, then proceeded with saying a few words, we stood up, exchanged rings, kissed, signed a registry book, then the judge left and we stayed in the room and took a few pictures. Remember to bring your passport and your spouse's DNI to the ceremony, along with your witness's DNIs.

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed description! I do have a valid passport stamp so that should not be a problem. I was just worried about having to get my birth certificate mailed here since its a huge hassle to get it sent here and to get an apostille somehow. Thanks for the info!

Back