Getting married in Argentina.

Yeah, sheabird's advice is accurate. I got married a month ago, it's pretty simple. I didn't need my birth certificate.

I also believe how strict they are depends on the comuna you get married in. We got married in Comuna 12 (Villa Urquiza) and it was VERY informal. I didn't have to do any sort of Spanish test whatsoever and wasn't required a translator. When you fill out the information online you will be required to fill in translator information, it made me nervous so I trecked on down to the registro civil and he laughed at me and told me I could put Maradona down if I wanted, that noone will care. And it was true, no one cared.

I also had a testigo from the States (one of the extra testigos, as you do have to have 2 from CABA if you're getting married in BA). All of the Comuna 12 employees said it doesn't matter whatsoever since we already do have the required amount and if it meant so much to me to have my friend up there with me, then who cares. But then we got a judge who was from the Belgrano registro civil who read us the riot act about it right in the ceremony in front of everyone about how that would never be allowed in his court, he ever so graciously let my friend stay on as testigo but acted as if it were a huge favor. So while I found it to be super simple, as everything here it probably depends on who you talk to.

So all in all, as a foreigner, I just needed my passport with a valid tourist stamp (which they did check).

Interesting comment! A valid tourist stamp? If you overstayed your visa. Or the "valid" visa stamp is more than 3 months old, they would not marry you off?

getting married is one of the only things (perhaps THE only thing) I've ever heard of where you need a valid tourist stamp.

Hello I am from Argentina (Tucuman) my girlfriend lives in California United states, and we want to get married so we can be together. Although I am the one who wants to move to her country, I have heard that she could get married here in Argentina with a tourist visa and later when she returns to US she can claim her foreign husband, but I am not sure about this and I would like someone to clarify my doubt how the process works and what does she need to do in her country before coming her.

Thank you so much I hope to hear from you soon.

Argentinean weddings are awesome, make sure you use that tradition and have a big fat party where everyone, and i mean everyone, gets drunk and dancing.

I married my husband (argentine with green card)in the u.s. can i apply for AR residency with that or do we have to get re-married in Argentina?

Back