Getting Married With An Irish Guy In Ba.. Where To Start!?

Sabrushi

Registered
Hi everybody!! Hope somebody would be able to help me.. let me give you a quick intro about this conundrum..

First of all.. I'm from BA, and my partner is irish. We met in BA back on 2009, and we've been together ever since; the twist is that we only spent ~8 months in Arg since we moved to New Zealand by the end of 2009, and we've been living here (in NZ) since.
Ok, now the tricky part.. although I have a DNI, my address is the one from NZ. He doesn't have a DNI whatsoever, just his irish and aussie passports.
So.. we've been talking about getting married. The rough idea, is to have our marriage registered in NZ (super easy to do!), and then celebrate w/our friends and family in my country. BUT, I want to have a church wedding in BA, and as far as I know.. we should get married in the registro civil beforehand.. is that correct??
I checked websites, and spoke with brides going through similar situations, but my main concern is that none of us is considered an 'argentine resident', so how would that work out in our case? Also, on a different note, his spanish is really basic (I know, I know.. it's all my fault! *sarcastic mode*), so he won't be able to follow a ceremony at all. Same with his family. Do you guys know how could I work this out? Can I hire an interpreter/translator or something like that? Perhaps the worse part would be the religious bit, since we need to do a premarital course of some sort.. I'm not 100% sure about this either.

Ok guys, as you can see, this sounds very complicated. Also, I want to point out that we don't want to move to Arg, so if Ed needs to get a DNI or something similar, we think it might then be pointless.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You don't need to be a resident or even Argentine to get married in Arg, you will need Arg witnesses and both of you should be in legal status, even if as tourists with a valid tourist visa, and that is it. Go to registro civil and find out the requirements, reserve a date, get the blood work done, etc. They might ask for an interpreter if your fiance cannot understand Spanish.

But if I'm understanding, the OP wants to have the civil ceremony in New Zealand correct? Once that's done, she is legally married the world over, including Arg. So she can't do it in Arg. However, assuming the OP just wants to do a religious ceremony/reception here, she just needs to arrange with the church to do one, she will already be legally married.

I think you'd already be legally married, no?. I got married here while on a tourist visa. I didn't speak Spanish either but I understood enough to follow the ceremony. It was a plus. When convenient now I can say I didn't understand the nuptials. :)

^^^ That's how I understood it.
Also Sabrushi, you say you're from BA, which presumably means you are Argentine and have the passport?

I know a couple that gets married in every country they travel to. It is their little romantic thing to do. It is not illegal to marry the same person in a different country. But of course, unless they want to do the civil thing here for a specific reason ie, friends, family, etc it is not needed for the religious marriage. However, some churches and priests can be especially difficult :p

Wow.. thanks heaps for the replies! And yes, I am argentine indeed.. born and raised! ;)

We definitely want to get married in NZ, since that's where we live and hope to be living in the future.. but I was unaware about that being legal in Arg, I thought each country had it's own rules? I hope that's the case! One less thing to worry about.
Have any of you guys got a church wedding in Arg?? My main fear is the language barrier, but oh well..

Definitely recognized here if you're getting married in NZ so no civil registro here. Is your family still here? Probably best bet is for mom/dad/whomever to stop by the parish and talk to the priest and coordinate on your behalf. You very well may be able to do a bilingual ceremony if there is a priest at the parish who is amenable to it/speaks english.

Back