Getting my meds seems nearly impossible

tylertronic1000

Registered
Hello, I've really enjoyed reading the other questions and answers in this forum! Everyone has been super helpful and informative. I am really excited about moving to BA. I do have a question / concern...

The only glitch in my plans seems to be related to my medicine. I really need it and I'm super lucky :) that it exists, but unfortunately, my research seems to say that my medicine (Enbrel) is only manufactured within the U.S. I am also feeling sorry for the other people around the world who do not have access to this incredible medicine. It's really a shame. :( There are many faults with the United States but one of the county's best attributes is it's conductive environment for innovation in medicine and technology.

Back to my question. Has anyone had success shipping their prescribed medications (legal and prescribed by a US doctor) into BA? It's really a necessity for my vitality so there's gotta be some way...

I'm thinking that maybe a local doctor in BA can provide some information about how to solve my problem. If anyone knows of a good Rheumatoid Arthritis doctor in Argentina, please message me. I'd like to call their office and talk.

If all else fails, I can take a 6-12 month supply of my medicine with me when I fly from the US to BA. A spoke with a person at Enbrel Support and she said that I can obtain an "override" from my insurance company for a travel supply of Enbrel (6-12 months). I've traveled with my medicine before, but never that much or for that long. It has to be kept cool and refrigerated. If it gets warm for 2 days, it starts to die. Ice packs and insulated containers help. I have several tricks if anyone needs advice on this.

I'm planning to couch surf, stay in hostels, and stuff like that for the first few weeks so it will take some juggling for sure. ;)

Super excited and trying not to get discouraged!

Cheers,

Tyler

The easiest is probably to bring it with you (although your living situation makes that much less easy).

I did a quick google search and it appears it is sold here under the name Etanercept. It seems to be very expensive though.

Thanks for the very very helpful answers so far! Gracias!

Thanks to you guys, I now know that Enbrel is available in BA. My research is progressing in a positive direction and I'm happy for that. :)

As for Pentoxifylline, no I have not tried that. I'll ask my doctor about it to see what she says. Thanks for the tip!

Here's what I do:

A) Get an account at earth class mail (earthclassmail.com)
B) Get an account at drugstrore.com
C) Have medication shipped from drugstore.com to earthclassmail
D) As I (or friends) come from the US to here have the prescriptions shipped to an address in the US, then 'muled' down. I've done as much as three months at a time.

Thanks withersdavis, so you're saying that you use earthclassmail to send your goods to your friends who will then mule it down to Argentina? Not a bad idea.

As someone who works in Regulatory Affairs for Novartis I will tell you, for free :), to be very careful with the 'importing' of drugs, for personal use or not, into any country!

If you do not do it correctly you are liable for heavy fines and prison time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 3
F Newcomers Forum 54
Y Expat Life 3
S Expat Life 1
D Expat Life 2
Back