Getting to airport from Neuquén

Suggest you seriously consider ditching the rental and finding another means of transportation.
If anything happents to the car while on the road you are SOL and finding / getting effective help other than commiseration doesn´t look realistic. If not even more dangerous.

Iz

Send me a pm. I can help you with an approved driver who has approved government permit to travel upto you in the car to bring you back.

however, you need to have permit from your embassy, printed air tickets . There are several police Stops and your documents will surely be checked.

I travel along the country because of my Federal cases.
I go often, or used to, to Zapala, Neuquen and Gral Roca.
My advice is:
0. Check the oil and tires before driving. Those cars usually are without proper maintenance.
1) Start always to drive at nigh; The main danger are trucks. They go to sleep at 10 PM. Sleep every 3/4 hours. Feel safe to sleep at the car at gas stations at Rio Colorado, before BB and 3 Arroyos.
2) At Rio Colorado before the bridge, full your tank, this is the last gas station with discount for living in Patagonia. Just after crossing the bridge, you have a decent restaurant on the left. Only go to YPF for gas.
3. Go to Bahia Blanca. Few kilometers before BB there is a YPF brand new gas station on the right. Use it. You can lunch there.
4. No matter what the GPS route, avoid the port. It is very broken the road and it is dangerous.
5. If you are tired you can sleep in BB but the best if to do it at Tres Arroyos (always use National Road 3), where you have a clean hotel on the road on the left. You also have an YPF on the left.
6. When you are arriving to Cañuelas be very careful not continue by NR 3 neither by BAR 6 because they go to Laferrere that is the ugliest you can find. After the railroad take to the right at 202 and you get the highway. Be very careful because is under construction the first few kms.
7. Do not eat vegetables during the trip. They do not have tap water to wash them.2E564C1C-3811-4B5F-B208-D1009392C446.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

I just returned to BA this morning from Bariloche with a 24 hours bus ride. The bus was arranged by the Embassy. It's such a long journey and we were only able to make a few stops to stretch the legs. There were many police control along the journey (at least 10-15 control points). We packed our own food/water and eat all the meals on the bus. We only made a few stops to go to the loo (Mostly behind the bushes no banos to use...). When we got closer to Buenos Aires province, our bus drivers stopped in one of the gas stations to fill up the gas, and they had to beg the policemen to let us the toilet in the gas station.. It was very tough the whole journey. The rest of the group took the rescue flight out of Argentina later today. I'm staying in BA waiting for the charter flight going to Miami. I don't think it's a good idea that you travel back to BA by yourself with the rental car. It's too tiring and too risky. Ask your embassy and see what kind of transportation they can arrange for you. Hire a driver, don't drive by yourself. Take care.
My uncle who is American was stranded in San Luis. The only way to get back for the repatriation flight was to drive.

I also have a contact in Neuquen that has made the trip several times to BA to move stranded folks. I don't know how much they charge, I only know they have done it and can do it again. This is a fully legit thing not some back road smuggler.

Hi, my husband and I came to Argentina in January for a two month trip. We have been locked down in Neuquén for two months and really want to fly home on the next EasternAir flight.
We are planning to drive our Hertz rental we got in BA. Even if we have all the documentation, I’m assuming our drive to Buenos Aires will be a modified version of the Bataan Death March. My husband is 80 and I’m in my 60’s.
I’ve gotten a lot of info here already and I thank you all.
Is there any advice or hacks on how to get to the airport mentally and physically intact?
Thanks so much and stay healthy.
I have a client from Neuquen who told me this:
“There is a bus, organized through the US embassy, leaving NQN on weds afternoon, but you have to get the permission 60 hours before”.

You need to get in touch with the U.S. Embassy, they have been very helpful with all of it, including organizing all of the permissions needed for travel to B.A.. [email protected]. If you don't have tickets on the flight in the 8th, its probably too late, as it's sold out. But there will likely be another.

Helpful info all. This is one of those times where I’m very thankful for BAExpats. Nothing like crisis to remind you of some of what’s really important...health, safety and helping others.

Please keep us posted on your return journey. We’re all rooting for you during these crazy times.

Looking forward to debating meat quality in BA again one day.

We left Buenos Aires at 9 pm with Bariloche as our goal and the lockdown was announced at midnight that night while we were driving. We were stopped around 2 AM entering Las Pampas, and they looked at our passports and told us we had a long drive ahead. When we got to Neuquén province around 8 AM, we were stopped every five miles and finally confronted the Federales who threatened to put us in jail, but after an hour told us we had to find a place to quarantine in Neuquén city. We’ve been here since March 20, I think. Time is standing still now... haha.
That’s why I’m very nervous to run the gauntlet back to BA.

And @Whistlinginthedsrk so sorry to hear you didn't make to your intended destination. Were you guys able to find some things to enjoy the rest of the trip while in Neuquén or was it just a 2 month shelter?

Back