Getting to airport from Neuquén

Whistlinginthedsrk

Registered
Hi, my husband and I came to Argentina in January for a two month trip. We have been locked down in Neuquén for two months and really want to fly home on the next EasternAir flight.
We are planning to drive our Hertz rental we got in BA. Even if we have all the documentation, I’m assuming our drive to Buenos Aires will be a modified version of the Bataan Death March. My husband is 80 and I’m in my 60’s.
I’ve gotten a lot of info here already and I thank you all.
Is there any advice or hacks on how to get to the airport mentally and physically intact?
Thanks so much and stay healthy.

On the highway there are road checks which stop every vehicle. In many places outsiders are not allowed to enter the city at all. You should be ready to sleep in your car overnight.

I am so sorry to hear of your stressful situation. I would really encourage you to reach out to your embassy to see how they might help you. I can’t imagine you starting that trek without knowing you’re going to be allowed to arrive safely in BA. Hopefully, your ages (particularly your husband’s) would be an extenuating circumstance that would cause them to help you get whatever paperwork you need to leave. Best of luck.

Thank you so much. You are right about the age factor. My husband Is retired from the Inter-American Development Bank and knows the language and country very well, and isn’t as apprehensive (realistic) as I am about the trip to BA.
We were content waiting it out for a while but got nervous when all flights were stopped until September.
I will definitely get in touch with the embassy tomorrow first thing.
Thanks again.

Make sure you have your flight ticket printed out to show along the way. You should also try to obtain a letter from your embassy stating the purpose of your movement, and importantly get their advise. Additionally you probably must also apply for ability to circulate due to emergency circumstances:
https://formulario-ddjj.argentina.gob.ar/descargar

Maybe it is worth trying to contact your car rental company to see if they can provide a driver for you. It probably costs a fair amount but might make it less stressful for you. Have also seen some embassies arrange bus transfers from the interior to bring people to EZE for repatriation which would be the best of all options.

Hey, good luck to you guys. Was it harsh driving from BA to where you went so far?

Or are you just worried because of the lockdown everywhere?

We left Buenos Aires at 9 pm with Bariloche as our goal and the lockdown was announced at midnight that night while we were driving. We were stopped around 2 AM entering Las Pampas, and they looked at our passports and told us we had a long drive ahead. When we got to Neuquén province around 8 AM, we were stopped every five miles and finally confronted the Federales who threatened to put us in jail, but after an hour told us we had to find a place to quarantine in Neuquén city. We’ve been here since March 20, I think. Time is standing still now... haha.
That’s why I’m very nervous to run the gauntlet back to BA.

Hello,

I just returned to BA this morning from Bariloche with a 24 hours bus ride. The bus was arranged by the Embassy. It's such a long journey and we were only able to make a few stops to stretch the legs. There were many police control along the journey (at least 10-15 control points). We packed our own food/water and eat all the meals on the bus. We only made a few stops to go to the loo (Mostly behind the bushes no banos to use...). When we got closer to Buenos Aires province, our bus drivers stopped in one of the gas stations to fill up the gas, and they had to beg the policemen to let us the toilet in the gas station.. It was very tough the whole journey. The rest of the group took the rescue flight out of Argentina later today. I'm staying in BA waiting for the charter flight going to Miami. I don't think it's a good idea that you travel back to BA by yourself with the rental car. It's too tiring and too risky. Ask your embassy and see what kind of transportation they can arrange for you. Hire a driver, don't drive by yourself. Take care.

Back