getting to la paloma- uruguay

nataliewardo

Registered
Hi all,

We are going to uruguay for the christmas period, our friends can pick us up from la paloma so we just need to get there. Buquebus do do it but wierdly only as a package from BA, through the night via colonia and a bus through the night. We would much prefer booking the fast boat to MV and then catching a separate bus from there. Despite searching the net i am going round in circles and can't find anywhere to book it, i know there is a terminal bt obviously want to book before we get there..

any ideas muchly appreciated!

nat

Also if you know of how to get from punte del este to paloma - i want to see casa pueblo ideally :)

nataliewardo said:
Also if you know of how to get from punte del este to paloma - i want to see casa pueblo ideally :)

You'll have to buy a bus ticket for this as well. PdE & Paloma are about an hour+ away from each other by bus. Maybe more.

Was it cheap? I went BA-PDE then hired a car. I was there in winter... which was one of the most desolate places Ive been! I wonder what its like in summer... if there´s any surf too

apparently the sea is crazy - we don't surf but are going to buy a boogie board! dont know how much it is yet but trying to do it on cheap, entonces sin auto! did you fly to pde then?

The bus tickets are pretty cheap, 170 pesos uruguayos from MVD to PDE. I was in Punta this past week and the waves on the Brava side were enormous. Wasn't safe to go in the water. Perhaps (hopefully) it has calmed a bit over the past few days!

i have found cheap flights from BA to punta del este but then from punta to la paloma i am really having trouble.. laguna garzon is close but still an hour away. Think it might be a case of whinging it maybe?

nataliewardo said:
i have found cheap flights from BA to punta del este but then from punta to la paloma i am really having trouble.. laguna garzon is close but still an hour away. Think it might be a case of whinging it maybe?

To get to La Paloma, you have the following options:

A) Take a ferry to Colonia (Buquebus, Colonia Express or Seacat Colonia) or straight to Montevideo (Buquebus), and then take a bus from the Tres Cruces Mall/Terminal. This is honestly the easiest option. All buses going to La Paloma leave from Tres Cruces. Some are direct buses that don't make many stops along the way. COT, Rutas del Sol and CYNSA all have regular services to La Paloma (see schedules here)

B) Fly to Montevideo or Punta and rent a car (book well in advance!)

C) Fly into Montevideo and take a bus to La Paloma. Not all of the buses that leave Montevideo stop at the airport. You will need to check with the the bus companies ahead of time and get their airport service schedules.

D) Fly into Punta del Este and take a bus to La Paloma. I'm not sure if any buses actually stop at the airport or not. I would contact the bus companies and ask.

Do you need to book your bus ticket in advance? No, but it is not a bad idea at all during high season. Depending on the day of the week and time of day you plan to leave, seats can sell out quickly. You can call the bus company a few days beforehand and reserve a seat. No advance payment required.

Enjoy your trip :)

thanks for your help guys, very nice of you to take the time.We found mega cheap flights to punta for 33 and 65 US each way and then are going to wing it with the buses when we get there in the spirit of adventure!

Back