getting too colonia... cheapest way?

mienke

Registered
Hi there,

been looking at different websites Buquebus and colonia express... the cheapest I can get round trip to Colonia is a solid $800 for 2 of us....

is there really no cheaper way? Another local service? oh well.

not a visa run, was hoping to get to see colonia a bit...

In December, booking through Seacat, we paid 257 pesos per person round-trip. You'll most likely find lower fares if you travel mid-week, instead of on a weekend.

Try Caciolla (small boats between Tigre and Carmelo in Uruguay).
Lovely trip too!

We went Seacat last month and I will never do it again. The small boat bounced up and down violently the whole way. Most of the passengers were using the plastic bags...

Colonia is a terrible waste of time place.
If you have a lot of time, then please. The place
is a dump, and there is absoluely nothing to do.

lomo said:
Colonia is a terrible waste of time place.
If you have a lot of time, then please. The place
is a dump, and there is absoluely nothing to do.

Trolling is a terrible waste of time thing.

I love Colonia. Yes, there is not a lot to do, but that is part of why I love it. I don't always need to be running around doing things. I could spend an entire day just sitting on the beach in Colonia.

Seacat and Colonia Express are the most affordable options. Colonia has a lot of very discounted seats, but you have to pay with credit card and you have to reserve more than a month in advance.

Colonia Express and Seacat are both small boats for crossing the river, and they most likely will be bouncy, but the morning in MUCH more calm than in the afternoon or evening.

We also went through Tigre to get to Carmelo via Nueva Palmira. It was cheaper. The trip was three hours in a very noisy little boat, but the trip was very nice through the delta. I would do that again in a heart beat. But you would have to take a "bus" (its really a van) to get to Colonia, and if memory serves me correctly, it was three hours by bus from Nueva Palmira to Colonia, but I'm not sure.

And if you want a really cheap way, you could always swim :)

I LOVE going to Colonia, it's a gorgeous little town and I could spend all day there with a good book and a glass...or two...of wine at a nice restaurant by the water.

I got a 100 peso day trip ticket in September with Colonia Express, but like va2ba said, I booked about three weeks in advance.

I took Seacat once to get to Montevideo and had a very smooth trip. I'm sure unless there is an awful storm you'd have no problem at all.

Visiting Colonia:

Riding a "fast" boat that moves like a snail, 5 small lousy hostoric buildings in total,
tourist trap restaurants facing dirty yellow water, signature Uruguay dish with ham, steak, egg and butter for heart attach, long wait to get on and off the boat, cheap thrills on purchasing tacky sounenirs at duty free shop, even higher
price than BA.

Enjoy Colonia !

lomo said:
Visiting Colonia:

Riding a "fast" boat that moves like a snail, 5 small lousy hostoric buildings in total,
tourist trap restaurants facing dirty yellow water, signature Uruguay dish with ham, steak, egg and butter for heart attach, long wait to get on and off the boat, cheap thrills on purchasing tacky sounenirs at duty free shop, even higher
price than BA.

Enjoy Colonia !

Quite exaggerated imho.
Colonia is a nice place to go if you’ve never been there.
Alone, you can find simple pleasures like walking up the light house, looking at the river.
Even better is to go with your partner and spend a romantic night there.
Duty free has excellent prices on After Eights for instance…
Going to Carmelo via Tigre (http://cacciolaviajes.com/) is also great because you’ll cross the delta looking at all the small islands (birds, nature,…). Good thing about leaving from Tigre is that the train station (in Tigre) is at 2 minutes walking distance from the terminal.
No seas amargo ;) !

Back