Getting US dollars Today

surfing said:
Folks, the ATMs that dispense US $ dispense them for ARGENTINE (local) accounts denominated in US $ and they still work. I know this is a common misconception but it's surprising how many people who have been here a long time don't seem to understand this.

If this is the case its stupid for me to be asked if i want US$ when using my non argentine ATM card.. However i must admit i cant recall being asked for ages.

surfing said:
Folks, the ATMs that dispense US $ dispense them for ARGENTINE (local) accounts denominated in US $ and they still work. I know this is a common misconception but it's surprising how many people who have been here a long time don't seem to understand this.

Curious, is that true of Uruguayan ATMs that offer a choice of UYU or USD too?

I'd be willing to exchange dollars for pesos at somewhere between the official and black market rate. :) PM me.

AlexanderB said:
Curious, is that true of Uruguayan ATMs that offer a choice of UYU or USD too?

No, Uruguayan ATMs give out US dollars. BROU ATMs will give you U$S1000 per transaction up til the limit of your issuing bank with no ATM owner fee.

If your account is in the US, it comes straight out of your account in US dollars, no currency conversion.

According to the regulations as I read them, tourists can still re-convert pesos to dollars at the official rate so long as they present receipts for the original purchase of the pesos. A friend did so without problems a couple weeks ago before leaving Argentina, and well after the current restrictions were put in place.

If you're here on a tourist visa and you've saved enough receipts to cover the dollars you need, you should have no problem converting pesos at any bank. Note that you'll pay the "venta" rate, rather than the lower "compra" rate that applied when the bank was buying your dollars with pesos.

jimdepalermo said:
According to the regulations as I read them, tourists can still re-convert pesos to dollars at the official rate so long as they present receipts for the original purchase of the pesos. A friend did so without problems a couple weeks ago before leaving Argentina, and well after the current restrictions were put in place.

If you're here on a tourist visa and you've saved enough receipts to cover the dollars you need, you should have no problem converting pesos at any bank. Note that you'll pay the "venta" rate, rather than the lower "compra" rate that applied when the bank was buying your dollars with pesos.
The operative word here is "should".

Good luck. :rolleyes:

jimdepalermo said:

Well he/she was very lucky, as i have meet several tourists in colombia and ecuador who couldnt change pesos for US$ or Euros.

They all said they tried at EZE, so maybe its different if you go to a bank in the city beforehand.

Napoleon said:
The operative word here is "should".

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Seriously... for every tourist that has a smooth transaction, there's probably a story like this (from the TripAdvisor forum, week of March 1):

"Just got back from BA last weekend. Took the 1030 pm CO flight to IAH on Saturday night. Assumed that we could exchange our pesos back to US$ at Banco Nacion as long as we had our receipts from arrival. They said they are only able to sell dollars to Argentinian citizens, and there were signs all over the place. New policy apparently. We were directed to Banco Piano (just to the right of the United departure counters), who bought our pesos back at 4.28, not bad in a bind. They required our boarding passes, passports, and receipt from Banco La Nacion."

(and then):
"Banco Nación at Ezeiza refused to take back your pesos?

Would you believe if I told you that I was at my Citibank branch yesterday, and they told me that the only bank currently exchanging currency for tourists is Banco Nación?"

Personally, I think the odds of getting dollars are a crapshoot on any given day, regardless of what "the rules" say.

You can no longer draw dollars out of ATMS (foreign bank account or otherwise) and tourists have just as many problems exchanging pesos as anyone else. Sometimes they'll let you change money into dollars if you present them with an ATM receipt for the pesos, sometimes they won't (I've heard mostly negative stories). I have no idea what the law here is re paying rent in dollars but it seems ridiculous that when the official currency is the peso, you can't pay her in pesos according to the official exchange rate. Even if you end up paying her in pesos according to whatever rate she pulls our her arse, you'll probably end up saving the time and money that it would otherwise take you to get dollars for her (which would probably have to be done on the black market anyway)

Ok,how about someone with a tourist visa in their passport and some ATM receipts in hand goes to a couple banks and reports back?

As so often in this forum, we're getting bogged down in speculation and friend-of-acquaintance stories.

I would do it myself, but I have a permanent residence visa.

Back