Went to buy Dollars today.........

jpitts14

Registered
What is up, I have bought dollars in the banks before with no problems but today, they told me I had to have an account. I went to Banco Superville and HSBC, got the same answer. Of course, I want to buy at the bank rate not at the black market rate, anybody know a solution or bank selling dollars without having an account. maybe I just went to the wrong banks today?

You should be able to buy dollars at Banco Nacion? Many of the private banks are keeping the dollars for their clients because, if you haven't noticed, people are selling their pesos like wildfire. The Central Bank is having to sell millions of dollars (in order to buy the peso) so that the peso doesn't devalue too much. When the U.S. released its unemployment numbers at the beginning of the month, the USDARS surged to $4.25. A move like that in a matter of a few hours is something you don't see very often in the Forex market.

Yea, I think there has been a run on buying dollars. They will not sell dollars today either, thinking the dollar is about to get stronger against the Peso and they will not be able to hold it here forever.

I will try Banco Piano tomorrow, thanks, got shot down by Banco Nacion today and others, very strange feel to the market right now.

You got shot down by Banco Nacion, eh? Wow. That's interesting. Have you tried any of the casas de cambio in Microcentro, by chance? Try the ones on DolarHoy.com.

http://www.cronista.com/contenidos/2011/09/12/noticia_0124.html

http://www.cronista.com/finanzasmer...den-dolares-a-sus-clientes-20110912-0045.html

It looks like there is a new Central Bank regulation that is supposed to be anti money laundering. Basically, it makes it almost impossible for banks to sell currency to non-clients. You have to show two sworn statements??

En el caso de los clientes ocasionales, el banco debe pedir elementos de identificación de la persona o la empresa y dos declaraciones juradas...
I guess banks just need some time and clarifications.

Does anybody know anything about it? Apparently yesterday there was some talk about it on TN channel.

The problem with casas de cambio is they will only sell you Dollars at the parallel market rate, which is currently 4.45:$ 1. The official rate at the bank is much better at around 4.20:$ 1.

bradlyhale said:
You got shot down by Banco Nacion, eh? Wow. That's interesting. Have you tried any of the casas de cambio in Microcentro, by chance? Try the ones on DolarHoy.com.

If you wait long enough they will probably be giving the stuff away, lol

Raymond said:
If you wait long enough they will probably be giving the stuff away, lol
Relative to the Argentine Peso? Not fucking likely....

Back