Getting US dollars Today

YanquiGallego

Registered
So, since it changes on a week to week (day to day?) basis, I would like to ask, how can I purchase dollars today at the official exchange rate without having to resort to the black market and inflated exchange rates?

My land lady wants US dollars for my rent payment this month so bad she will leap under a COLECTIVO to get them and is texting me every day for the dollars, dollars, dollars.

I hold both a Spain and US passport, and re-entered the country last month under my Spanish passport, I havent done any transactions in Argentina/AFIP/Banco de la Nacion since last June when I think I bought around $500 USD, so I should be in the clear as far as limits?

I need $700 USD, I have 3 US issued cards which would permit me to exctract this money from the cards/accounts if there are still any ATMs that give dollars.

Or could I just go to Banco de la Nacion or another bank and exchange pesos for dollars at the official rate?

What are the options today? Thanks in advance.

This isn't helpful with regard to your difficulty, but I'm curious, as I intend to do a short term rental: what if you refuse to pay in USD? What if you just don't have any, or any practically viable means of getting them? Surely she can't evict you for refusing to pay in a foreign currency? I'm assuming the problem is the premium she'd charge to take payment in pesos? What does that premium look like?

Not speaking for all landlords, but in the case of mine and most I have heard, usually the general consensus is that they will accept pesos but charge you the higher end exchange rate. My rent in dollars is already high enough, so I certainly don´t want to pay more without having to. She seems pretty convinced that I have the magic touch to be able to get dollars and says she saves in dollars so to please try to get her these dollars. I have never seen such a desperation for dollars before.

YanquiGallego said:
She seems pretty convinced that I have the magic touch to be able to get dollars and says she saves in dollars so to please try to get her these dollars.

Is it not possible to disabuse her of this factually incorrect notion?

As I'm sure many people here will jump to tell you, there are no ATMs that will dispense dollars. There is no practical way to get dollars anymore except through the official AFIP route, which is far more headache than could possibly be worth it in this situation, IMHO.

The only other thing you might be able to do as someone with foreign bank accounts is to go to Uruguay, withdraw USD and bring them back in. But really, is it worth it?

Also, I don't mean to pry, but what kind of exchange rate are we talking about here to take payment in pesos? 10% premium? 20%? 30%? More?

I don't think there are many options anymore, other than the black market. I suppose you could go around to the banks, inquiring whether any are selling dollars, but honestly, why bother? Your landlady wants dollars; let her hunt them down. It's certainly not your problem; your hands are just as tied by Argentina's currency controls as the next guy.

starlucia said:
I don't think there are many options anymore, other than the black market. I suppose you could go around to the banks, inquiring whether any are selling dollars, but honestly, why bother? Your landlady wants dollars; let her hunt them down. It's certainly not your problem; your hands are just as tied by Argentina's currency controls as the next guy.

That's a very good point. It's not like the landlady has any leverage. What's she going to do, find another tenant who somehow has the magic dollar touch?

My guess is that YanquiGallego is personally sympathetic to her plaintive exhortations. :)

In the 5 years i have been here i have not seen an ATM here that actually give US$, even the ones that ask if you want US$.

I will be very surprised if you can get US$ at the official exchange rate. I have been getting 5 pesos to the US$ for a couple of weeks now, and am guessing it will get better as all the restrictions etc bite home.

The only place i have heard of lately that will give US$ is a place colombians friends use to send money from/to colombia. And even they will exchange the US$ at 4.80 to 1.

Go for a trip to urugary/chile/ecuador and load up on US$

The trick is to never show them dollars in the first place. I made the mistake of making a deposit in dollars and my landladys eyes lit up. She asked me if i can get more dollars and i just said there is no possible way. The best and easiest way to get dollars is the black market, but i would just tell her that the atms only give pesos.

Getting dollars at the official rate would have to involve an act of god.

Folks, the ATMs that dispense US $ dispense them for ARGENTINE (local) accounts denominated in US $ and they still work. I know this is a common misconception but it's surprising how many people who have been here a long time don't seem to understand this.

Back