Getting US Prescription Medicine Shipped to Buenos Aires

hankscott

Registered
I arrived in Buenos Aires a little more than two weeks ago and am renting an apartment for three months while I apply for residency. I have a friend in New York City, where I moved from, who picked up an essential and very expensive prescription medication from my pharmacy in NYC (where the cost is covered by my insurance). Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the small plastic bottle of 30 pills sent to Buenos Aires. I have seen comments on various sites saying that isn't possible. Can I have my friend send it through UPS? How likely is it that an Argentine customs worker acrtually would take the time to open that tiny package and reject it (it will include a copy of my prescription)? Are there other options?

I'd like to be wrong, but without a DNI, it may not be possible for you to receive any package in Argentina, and even less likely if the contents are "expensive" prescription medications.which, for obvious reasons, cannot be sent to another individual.

It's hard to imagine that the Aduana would not inspect every package that is big enought to contain an eight ball or two (if not five or ten).

Last edited:
When I was first here, without a DNI, I received medication here. It was a long time ago, but I would think that it would be a little easier now than it was for me, not harder. But this is Argentina, so who knows. I would suggest sending it by some trackable means.

When I did it, I received a notice that I had to go to the international post office to receive it. I was there for 5 or 6 hours. I waited for a few hours, had my name called, thought the ordeal was over, then had to wait for another couple hours. Customs did open it, while I was present, looked at it, then asked me to sign. I didn't have to pay anything.

That was my experience, back in 2005.

When I was first here, without a DNI, I received medication here. It was a long time ago, but I would think that it would be a little easier now than it was for me, not harder. But this is Argentina, so who knows. I would suggest sending it by some trackable means.

When I did it, I received a notice that I had to go to the international post office to receive it. I was there for 5 or 6 hours. I waited for a few hours, had my name called, thought the ordeal was over, then had to wait for another couple hours. Customs did open it, while I was present, looked at it, then asked me to sign. I didn't have to pay anything.

That was my experience, back in 2005.
Thanks! That’s encouraging

shipping drugs isn't allowed, so if you got it through it would be low probability. if this is important I would not be shipping it. find it local or try and find a expat courier

This thread includes information about "importing" prescription medications into Argentina:

shipping drugs isn't allowed, so if you got it through it would be low probability. if this is important I would not be shipping it. find it local or try and find a expat courier
At the time I did it, it was perfectly legal, as long as they were drugs prescribed by a doctor and accompanied by a prescription. It's highly unlikely that the aduana would have looked at a package of prescription drugs and then given them to me if it was illegal. I would not be surprised if nothing had changed regarding this, but I've not investigated it in a long time because I haven't had to. I've known other people who have received prescription drugs that they've needed in the same way.

At the time I did it, it was perfectly legal, as long as they were drugs prescribed by a doctor and accompanied by a prescription. It's highly unlikely that the aduana would have looked at a package of prescription drugs and then given them to me if it was illegal. I would not be surprised if nothing had changed regarding this, but I've not investigated it in a long time because I haven't had to. I've known other people who have received prescription drugs that they've needed in the same way.
It might be a good idea for anyone who wants to know if what you were able to do (18 years ago) to contact the Aduana and actually ask if the same thing can be accomplished today. 🤠

Back