Getting Usd Out Of Uk Atms?

Girino

Registered
I'll be spending a couple days in ol' London and I have a US debit card with Schwab. Any chance I can take out USD from an ATM over there?
Thanks!

No, why would they? USD aren't legal tender so UK cash machines only dispense GBP. For $$ your best bet is to just go to the post office and change what you need.

You can get USD from ATMs at Heathrow Airport, but the exchange rate is not really competitive as far as I remember ...

Can you get USD from ATMs in Italy? I don't think so. The Uruguay example is an exception, not the rule. And no, ATMs in London do not dispense USD.

If you withdraw GBP£ and want to exchange to us$ this website will give you the best place to do it:

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

Choose:
  • US Dollars from the currency selection
  • Collection
  • and tick collect from London
  • DON'T enter you email, just press 'search'

Certain ATMs in London do give euros, apart from GBP, not sure about $. I've only seen them at airports, where I would only withdraw in case of extreme emergency. The best exchange rate is always at a post office.

you could withdraw Pounds and then post at Gumtree, to see if anyone wants to exchange at a rate quoted on xe.com

marks and spencer have currency exchanges in almost all their stores. they may even have cash machines i'm not sure.

Just enjoy the experience of walking into a British Post Office and saying, with your chest all puffed out:
'I'd like to buy some US Dollars please'
Then listen to the assistant say:
'Yes and how many would you like madam?'
Then feel yourself go all weak at the knees as you ask:
'Do you need to see my passport or anything like that?'
And swoon when she says
'No madam,nothing at all, in fact you don't even have to sign anything.'
And leave the post office not feeling like a criminal and post it on FB.
This is what I did last December and she called me sir not madam.

Back