Getting Work In Ba

Thanks for this data. It forces one to review ones finances to understand how to get by on less than US$600...!! Its a challenge.
It is really not that dificult i was living on the equivalent to that when i was student and i was able to go out a lot and have a good time at least when i didn't had to study for exams lol.

Thank you for the response. Is there is earlier date that would also be ideal? I heard I June/July is another good hiring season, do you know if this is true? If not, I think I will wait until January because I won't have THAT much saved.

Also, I have no intentions of saving money while I'm there, but I'm glad to hear that you can live off a teaching salary. I want to be able to enjoy the city and go out!

I cannot stress enough to make sure that you have "too much money" saved as opposed to "not quite enough". Postponing your arrival for more time to save, and to arrive at a better time for jobs is very, very wise. I have traveled and lived in many countries and some of the smartest decisions I made was to postpone a time or two in order to be better prepared. Buenos Aires is not "cheap", and when arriving to a place for the first time, usually we spend a bit of cash just getting settled. Mindful and more importantly, patient preparation is an essential key to success when moving overseas. Also have a resumé basically ready to go as that will reduce the stress of looking for jobs. There is a world of difference between looking for jobs here when you are in the States vs. when you are actually here. There are significantly more opportunities once you arrive and can hit the pavement looking for jobs/students.

Take the advice of those that have posted here about job hunting, they definitely know and you will be happier and more secure when you arrive by listening to the words of wisdom of the BA English teaching veterans :) Best of luck my dear! Focus on the goal, be smart, be patient and most importantly, be prepared for things to change.

Another thing to consider about saving money is knowing how you will get back to the States should that need to happen. Will you have a one way or round trip ticket? Will you have money set aside for that or use a credit card? Either way just always keep that in the back of your mind as it will happen eventually even if to just visit home. You don't want to be stuck here empty handed trying to get back to the other side of the globe.

Hi Katie,

I was in the same position you are coming into. I arrived here in September 2012, took the TEFL for a month, and then went job hunting in October. My TEFL teachers told me it would be so easy to get a job, but it was miserable and no one was hiring! Luckily I had some savings and with Xoom, you can almost get the blue dollar rate! For me, the jobs started picking up in January. I just applied to everything everywhere and things started to come around. Now its March and I am already set for jobs and am turning things away. I make more than enough to live teaching private classes and working for an institute and I also have time to volunteer and take spanish classes (which are in payment for the volunteering). I'd say not to plan on saving much, but its possible and I know some people who are able to save a little on a teachers salary. And we all still go out, eat out, and live in nice places in Palermo. We definitely are not scraping by! Its just a matter of finding the right jobs, which can take a while.

I'd say if you come in October you should expect to find issues finding jobs. To live each month, you would need about 3500-4000 pesos, so if you can swing that in savings then, go for it! But if not, then maybe it would be safer to come in January. Its also just a love for the city though. I really like living here and have found that everything seems to work out in Buenos Aires, one way or another. Just maybe not the way you thought.

Where are you taking the Spanish classes and volunteering? I am in Buenos Aires now, but most places I come across charge excessive amounts for both lessons and volunteering. Any information would be great!

And Katie, my advice would be to keep working on your Spanish before you come out here, I have a TEFL qualification but my Spanish is very basic which is making things difficult.

Hi Katie,

I was in the same position you are coming into. I arrived here in September 2012, took the TEFL for a month, and then went job hunting in October. My TEFL teachers told me it would be so easy to get a job, but it was miserable and no one was hiring! Luckily I had some savings and with Xoom, you can almost get the blue dollar rate! For me, the jobs started picking up in January. I just applied to everything everywhere and things started to come around. Now its March and I am already set for jobs and am turning things away. I make more than enough to live teaching private classes and working for an institute and I also have time to volunteer and take spanish classes (which are in payment for the volunteering). I'd say not to plan on saving much, but its possible and I know some people who are able to save a little on a teachers salary. And we all still go out, eat out, and live in nice places in Palermo. We definitely are not scraping by! Its just a matter of finding the right jobs, which can take a while.

I'd say if you come in October you should expect to find issues finding jobs. To live each month, you would need about 3500-4000 pesos, so if you can swing that in savings then, go for it! But if not, then maybe it would be safer to come in January. Its also just a love for the city though. I really like living here and have found that everything seems to work out in Buenos Aires, one way or another. Just maybe not the way you thought.

Thank you so much for the positive post! I was getting a little discouraged. If I moved to Argentina earlier, say in July/August, do you know if that is a good hiring time? My TEFL advisor told me it would be better, but I want someone with experience's opinion.

if you are willing to work for 40-50 pesos you will find work. if you are willing to put a tiny amount of effort in (not relying on craigslist ads and putting your own around town) you can find more. the ONLY very good time is feb, in my opinion (i have taught here in three different years, each several apart from eachother) to march.

the main hiring rush, again, for crappy low paid jobs thorugh institututes that will have you schlepping across town for non-block times, is feb-march. also in april, after semana santa, as a lot of companies dont get their shit together til then.

if you make a little papelito/business card and put it around town in your hood you will get private classes. if you go out to cheesy bars and let guys with crappy english hit on you you will get hours- yes, at some point they will hit on you but that happens in any country.

if you are hell bent on coming in here in july/august, then go for it but feb/march is really the hiring season.

Living on 3500-4000 pesos a month (in Palermo), going out a lot and still saving? Wow.

Me and my girlfriend live in 1x1 50m2 apartment and that would only just cover our rent + expensas (and we have a garantia).

Thank you for the response. Is there is earlier date that would also be ideal? I heard I June/July is another good hiring season, do you know if this is true? If not, I think I will wait until January because I won't have THAT much saved.

Also, I have no intentions of saving money while I'm there, but I'm glad to hear that you can live off a teaching salary. I want to be able to enjoy the city and go out!

It's not June/July but after the winter break in the second half of July that some more positions open up - still nothing quite like the March rush...
Still they may start posting the job ads throughout July but nothing would start most likely until after the school holidays.

Thank you so much for the positive post! I was getting a little discouraged. If I moved to Argentina earlier, say in July/August, do you know if that is a good hiring time? My TEFL advisor told me it would be better, but I want someone with experience's opinion.

Who is your TEFL advisor? Are they Argentine or have they lived here for a considerable amount of time? If not, how would they know...

Can you get by on $4000? Yes, but you will share an apartment, maybe a room, in not a hip part of town, go out only once in a while for a beer (not dinner) no taxis, and look for discount things to do. You will cook 90% of meals in your apartment, etc.

It might get hard to take Spanish classes, which is the reason why you would live here, to learn Spanish. without at least an intermediate level getting a job that requires no Spanish will be hard. No one wants to hire someone who can´t get around the city or answer a phone.

Back