Getting Work In Ba

Thanks for this data. It forces one to review ones finances to understand how to get by on less than US$600...!! Its a challenge.

Rich One-san, No kidding.! If an Extranjero can live with less than US$600.00 per month over in BsAs, then Iam set !
I have been advised in the Chile forums, that to live decently in around Santiago de Chile, I would need least US$ 2500.00 per month.
So if possible to live in Bs As for one quarter of Dollars allocation as needed in Chile, then no brainer, I would definetely will settle in Bs As.!..

Rich One-san, No kidding.! If an Extranjero can live with less than US$600.00 per month over in BsAs, then Iam set !
I have been advised in the Chile forums, that to live decently in around Santiago de Chile, I would need least US$ 2500.00 per month.
So if possible to live in Bs As for one quarter of Dollars allocation as needed in Chile, then no brainer, I would definetely will settle in Bs As.!..

Living on that amount would be very difficult. Unless you have some help from Mummy & Daddy, which a lot of gap yah people do.

Living on 600 dollars a month is for kids just out of college who share apts and live on the cheap.

Anything resembling a middle class life, I would say 2500 USD is the minimum, even at the blue rate, here in BA.

I would agree with 2500 USD if you have a car and include annual vacation expenses.

With a car? No way I personally could do it on 2500 USD a month. My car costs me..well, let's see. 400 pesos a week in gas. On average 50 pesos r/t to capital which I do about 4 days a week so another 200 a week. Insurance is hmm.. I think it's around 600 a month. License plates and the rest I think averages out to about 400 a month. Plus inspections at 3000 pesos every 6 months so let's say 500 pesos a month. So that.roughly 4000 pesos a month in expenses on my car (not including parking or anything like that) or 500 USD just for the car.

I'm just thinking your average middle class expat spends at least 1000 a month on rent for a decent furnished apt. Your insurance is going to run you another 200 at a minimum. That leaves 1300 USD a month to go out or 45 a day/350 pesos a day. That's not hard to go through at all when you figure an average dinner for 2 costs 300+ pesos.

Car/Vacation/travel - personally, I would exclude from that 2500 I calculated to live decently.

we dont pay anywhere close to 1000 dollars a month on rent and we live in a 2 bdr apt in Palermo but we have a garantia so we are paying argentine rental prices. i guess thats where the biggest diff lies!

Very valid point Sivan but I assume you furnished your apt. You need to factor in all the costs of that as well. And your average "expat" (who isn't an expat at all but someone visiting) isn't going to have access to a guarantia nor want to furnish an apt.

I was just going by maso average rental prices for a decent furnished 1 BR in a barrio such as palermo/belgrano/recoleta/etc at a $1000 a month.

I don't want to come off as some doomsayer, but I really don't see the feasibility of paying rent with teaching wages. If you want to teach in BA, do it, but ONLY if you have enough saved to cover several months of rent.

As you probably know, foreigners without access to a garantia are generally asked to pay rent in dollars (or in pesos at some exorbitant black-market exchange rate.) Let's say that you move into a furnished room for USD$350 per month. If you've brought down a wad of dollars large enough to take care of that, your teaching salary (around AR4000 per month with a full schedule) will be sufficient to cover living expenses. You'll live a simple lifestyle, but you'll get by. But paying a dollar rent with pesos? Best-case scenario, if you find a landlord willing to accept pesos at the official rate, monthly rent would be AR1787 per month. 4000-1787= only AR2210 to live on for the rest of the month. That in itself is extremely difficult, but if you're dealing with one of these parasitic landlords who tries to demand pesos at the black-market rate... well, convert the numbers and see what you're left to work with.

Back