Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Not so sure

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RNazz

Registered
For all of you who have given birth in Argentina or WILL be giving birth in Argentina... I have a question for you!

I am a labor and delivery RN from the States and am interested in helping women through the birthing process here. The idea is I would like to provide English-speaking women through pre-birth eduction, labor & delivery support, and post-birth help with lactation, education, etc.

I have years of experience with top-notch standard of care, natural as well as medicated labor, and cesarean deliveries. I have also have had special training in lactation, infant safety, etc.

Had this been available to you when you were giving birth would you have hired me to do this? If you are going to be giving birth does this appeal to you? I am trying to feel out if there is a need for this kind of service in Buenos Aires....

Thanks!
:)

Robyn

www.buenosairesbabies.com

Hello there. This is a good question. I am due 20th of May and every doctor I have seen here only speaks Spanish. I have a good level of Spanish but I have a lot of insecurity about it. I went to a class here on giving birth in Spanish and I think I understood everything well enough but in the back of my mind I keep thinking "what if I miss understood something she said because I didn't understand it right?" I meet a couple of other people at the class from the US and England, so it seems there are other English speakers out there who are starting their families here.

I could only image how hard it would have been if I had only a basic level of Spanish. The whole process is stressful enough without having to add in a language barrier.

I already have a woman who is supposed to accompany us during the process of giving birth. But I really want to breastfeed, everyone says so many positive things about it but I am also concerned that I don't really know what I am doing, this is the first baby. So actually, if you offered some kind of training like that I would be interested in it.

I was told I had to have a C-section if my baby did not arrive on due date! The gynae wanted to book me in even a week before due date as my baby hadn't descended....in the end, they only let me wait one extra week and the stress was terrible. Apparently about 95% of women have c-sections....

So, I would definitely be interested in your services if I have another pregnancy, esp.since I would be hoping for a vbac.

Good luck!

laureltp said:
I already have a woman who is supposed to accompany us during the process of giving birth. But I really want to breastfeed, everyone says so many positive things about it but I am also concerned that I don't really know what I am doing, this is the first baby. So actually, if you offered some kind of training like that I would be interested in it.

I am a both a natural childbirth educator and am working on my La Leche League (breastfeeding) leadership. I'd be happy to help you in any way. Answer questions about childbirth, breastfeeding, and even help you once the baby comes. I'll be here in BA through June. Don't worry, none of us really know what we're doing until the time comes! Please PM me if you need anything!

Yes, I'd definitely have preferred to have a doula. To have that kind of firsthand advice and emotional support, especially during the third trimester would have been tremendously helpful and a load off all my worries. Thinking back, I was quite the worried one when I was expecting. But what do I know really. It was my first pregnancy, I was far away from home, I fell out with my mum years ago, and my aunt whom I called mum passed away a couple of months before I told my whole world that my partner and I were planning to have a baby.

Being a foreigner that speaks very little Spanish sure didn't help. I attended the birth classes but since it was done in Spanish my partner who speaks better Spanish than I do had to come with so he could translate it for me. It turned out to be rather frustrating for both of us. He found it tremendously boring while I felt like I was missing on all the crucial stuff. She'd be talking for minutes and the translation would be about a few words in a sentence. I felt like a raging bull when things didn't go accordingly. Oh I hate those hormones. I couldn't fight it I was a monster. Of course my darling partner was there for me and poor him I used to put it all out on him.

Thank god I had an obstetrician who is comfortable in speaking English. Besides that all I had were newsletters, baby books and the occasional online chat with a friend that was a month ahead of me. I signed up on www.whattoexpect.com and everyday they would send newsletters to my inbox regarding the changes my body were going through and how the baby was developing. I remembered waking up every morning each day to rush to my computer to find out what was happening to me. There were loads of reading, even to this day.

About 11 weeks ago, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy and he turns out to be the chillest baby of all. During the first month, he'd sleep for about 16 to 20 hours a day it was awesome. I feel so blessed and am well proud of that. I felt stupid sometimes when I think about those times where I was getting really worried and angry for nothing. Of cos at the time if anyone were to say I was getting worried for nothing I didn't want to hear any of it. I knew what I was feeling and nobody could deny me of that without being given the evil glare.

So I guess I want to say that having a doula would have helped so much. Especially for the state of my mind. That sure wasn't healthy what happened to me. I wish for things to be different. Despite all those, when I look at my son today he brings a smile to my face. He's now about two and a half months and is smiling at every single thing he could smile at. With that, I could never ask for more....

For me it would depend on how much you charge. Are you functioning as a doula or a midwife? What are your fees like?

For me it would be ideal if your services could somehow be associated with one of the local insurance plans (such as OSDE), but I don't know how realistic that is.

:)

RNazz said:
For all of you who have given birth in Argentina or WILL be giving birth in Argentina... I have a question for you!

I am a labor and delivery RN from the States and am interested in helping women through the birthing process here. The idea is I would like to provide English-speaking women through pre-birth eduction, labor & delivery support, and post-birth help with lactation, education, etc.

I have years of experience with top-notch standard of care, natural as well as medicated labor, and cesarean deliveries. I have also have had special training in lactation, infant safety, etc.

Had this been available to you when you were giving birth would you have hired me to do this? If you are going to be giving birth does this appeal to you? I am trying to feel out if there is a need for this kind of service in Buenos Aires....

Thanks! :)

Robyn

Sorry Robyn
But my English speaking obstetritian and midwife and coterie of nurses really spoiled me and gave a more complete Bsas pre and post birth experience than I had enjoyed in US. I suggest you go to Ireland or UK where your services are REALLY needed and lacking :eek:

Hi fifs2, do you have a recommendation for an ob/gyn or a maternity hospital here? Would be interested to hear. I had my baby at the Otamendi, which is a lovely hospital,despite all the rest of the pressures.

Thank you to everyone for your responses! I really appreciate your feedback. I am getting my website ready and will post it soon for those who are interested. Hopefully the website will address all of the questions asked on this blog!

Thanks again!

Back