GMC cars in BA

rachelusa said:
Useful to know, thank you. The thing is we need a 6 seater and if we are going to explore the country(side) something comfortable with space for luggage too.

Then you should consider a smaller mini van type thing. That Yukon is going to be a PITA for buzzing around in the city.

The other thing is...driving here is like playing demolition derby! You will really have to adjust your thinking when you drive...you have to drive offensively..so it's a guessing game what they will do! Stop signs mean nothing...yellow means go...and even red means got to the motorcyles and buses! Buses have the right of way everytime!

Emergency flashers are used for parking, stopping, slowing down....and once in a while for an emergency, ha! And horns are honked for most any reason...but mainly if you don't drive fast enough..or jump off the stop light fast enough....

People are great here..but get them behind the wheel and all bets are off!! I wouldn't drive here for anything!

Check also..some insurance companies won't cover you with an international license...but your case might be different. And getting a drivers license here requires a test written and driving...only in Spanish.

I agree with what most everybody else is saying. I don't drive in BsAs. Full stop. I think if I were on a posting and I knew that I was going to be home again in a couple of years and I owned a vehicle that I felt great affection for, I wouldn't try to bring it with me but I would ask a trusted friend if they would lay it up for me in a shed or an outhouse until I returned and could enjoy it again.

They have 6 and 8 seater vehicles here, but they are not the Yukon size. You can rent some vans to go in the country. Your Yukon will not fit on some of the streets. It diffidently won't fit in some garages.

Chevy does sell SUV's in Argentina- not Yukons- the biggest one is probably the Blazer. You can probably get one that seats 6, but it will be physically smaller, both inside and out, than your Yukon.
http://www.chevrolet.com.ar/

But in Argentina, virtually no new cars are sold with big V8's, either gas or diesel. The Blazers here come with 2.4 liter turbo diesels.

So, while there will be GM experienced mechanics, it is doubtful there would be parts for your Yukon. Some parts would probably have to ordered from the USA- if you are diplomatic, they probably can get shipped in for you more reliably, and cheaper, than the balky argentine post office. But it still would be a lot more complicated than having repairs done on a car model that is sold in Argentina.

There are many models of minivans and SUV's available here that will seat 6, both new and used, but all will cost more than equivalent vehicles in the USA.
I have a friend with 3 kids, and he drives a Picasso-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_C4_Picasso
I have ridden in it a lot, and it is much larger inside than you would think.
Available in a 7 seater, these are similar in size to a Mazda minivan in the USA, with, usually, a 2 liter turbo diesel.
This size and shape of vehicle is a lot more practical in Argentina, where traffic is congested, streets are small, and parking is tight.

I suppose, if you live in a gated community, with off street parking, and you always pay for parking in lots or garages when you go out, the Yukon wouldnt be too bad, but it still would be harder and more work to drive thru the traffic in Argentina.

Many thanks for this useful reply and thank you for answering my original questions. Others had given me their views on suitable cars but that's a personal thing with many factors and I'm not at that stage yet. However, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Rachel - Have you been to Buenos Aires yet? You really will have a difficult time finding parking for that large a car here in the city and it won't be easy to drive it around. I don't think people are trying to overstep by suggesting other cars, just pointing out there are quite a few logistial difficulties. (Again - if you are posted outside of/live outside of BsAs, you will have an easier time with parking, etc). If you are on a diplomatic posting, they should be able to arrange shipping, etc but as mentioned, parts and repairs will probably be quite difficult to find here. Will they coordinate insurance for you here? Good luck with the move!

I brought in a Lincoln Town Car, paid more in shipping and tax than it was worth, took 3 months to get the car and 3 months for plates. Parts not a problem (many common ford parts), but there are not a lot of 8cyls here. Argentine mechanics are very enterprising, and can have parts made if needed, and I'm sure many common parts with Chevy here.
Parking in the city will be VERY difficult, spaces are very small and ramps quite tight.
Gas and parts here are very expensive, but labor is cheap. Suggestion-do not bring the Yukon down, unless you plan to sell in the country after a year that you are required to hold it. 4x4's are valuable here.
Fred
www.silverstarcar.com

Back