Going From Peru To Bolivia To Argentina?

Girino

Registered
We are thinking about finally going to visit Machu Picchu, and for a number of reasons we are considering flying from Buenos Aires to Cuzco (via Lima) and then go to Lake Titicaca, cross the border with Bolivia, and from there descend to Jujuy/Salta to board a plane to BuenosAires. (Or the opposite way)

The tricky part would be the crossing of Bolivia - I have no idea on how long it takes to go cross the country, if there is a single bus taking us from Copacabana (Bolivia) to the Argentine border or if there are multiple stops/changes. From the Argentinian border onward there is El Rapido Internacional.

VISA-wise, we are okay, however I am wondering about Yellow fever shots. I checked this CDC page and it says that shots are required when traveling from Peru, but not if traveling over 2300 m. Any experience or recommendation? We aren't against planes, we just have miles for two one-way tickets.

map_3-16-small.png

Sorry, no up to date advice about Yellow fever or direct bus routes from Bolivia to Argentina...

Is Machu Picchu the main and only objective for the trip or are you wanting to see some of Peru & Bolivia as well? Have you considered a return flight to Lima then a circular route round Peru, crossing into Bolivia (possibly Chile):

1: Lima > Ballestas Islands > Arequipa > Tacna > Arica > San Pedro de Atacama > 4x4 tour from San Pedro across salt flats to Uyuni > Potosi > La Paz > Copacabana > Puno > Cusco > Lima

2: Lima > Ballestas islands > Arequipa > Puno > Copacabana > La Paz > Potosi > La Paz > Puno > Cusco > Lima

The first important thing to bear in mind is that a one way flight from Salta to Aeroparque is slightly cheaper than the 18 hour bus journey.

If you have to bus it from the Peruvian-Bolivian border you would have to change in La Paz before continuing.

Then you have two main choices to either get a bus to Villazon and cross the border to La Quiaca, then on to Salta. This is quite a tedious journey, as the road to Villazon is rough and you spend a lot of time in the altiplano.

OR... La Paz to Tarija, then on to Bermejo, cross at Aguas Blancas and bus to Guemes (no need to carry on to Salta). There are direct busses from Guemes to Retiro and Liniers.

Like Jez says.. there's lots to see and do in Bolivia.

Hope this helps a little.

The main sightseeing points of my journey are Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca.

I have some AA miles which are enough for two round trips within Argentina or one roundtrip to South America.

Given that we can both take advantage of resident rates on national flights within Argentina, I though it would be better to spend these miles for a trip abroad, however, I am afraid that if we book one round-trip ticket with my miles and we buy the other round-trip ticket out of pocket, the cost could be not worth it - meaning that maybe the ticket we have to pay for could turn out very expensive because we have to pick fixed times and dates to match the free ticket.

However, after reading various posts on the Internet, it looks like crossing Bolivia is a little bit too much of an adventure. We are not backpackers.

I am very battled between doing an easy trip in Argentina by ourselves (we use the miles for the flight, and do the hotel booking and excursions on our own), and buying a full holiday package in Peru.

I am not interested in Bolivia, honestly. I just wanted to go back to the nearest Argentine airport once we get to Lake Titicaca.

If not backpackers then:

Fly Buenos Aires > Lima

Fly Lima > Arequipa: Colca Canyon, Monasterio de Santa Catalina, Museo Santuarios Andinos
Fly/Bus: Arequipa > Juliaca (flight + transfer to Puno)/Puno (bus): Lake Titicaca/Floating Uros islands, Yavari, Amantani & Taquile islands (overnight cultural tour)
Bus: Puno > Copacabana (Bolivia) possible 2 night trip to see Bolivian side of Lake (Isla del Sol & Luna)
Train: Puno > Cusco: Machu Picchu/Sacred Valley/Inca Trail etc
Fly Cusco > Lima

Take a bus through northern Chile from Arica to San Pedro, and then to Salta. That's quicker than going through Bolivia.

Lauca national park is worth a visit in northern Chile.

If you're not backpackers, don't do Bolivia -- it has some of the most dangerous roads on the continent, if not the world. Go back via Chile. Or just go spend some time at the AA offices and get them to try and find you dates with one free ticket and one paid ticket that isn't crazy expensive. The time and money you will save by coming back on the road will probably not be worthwhile if you're not into a backpacking style adventure.

Good advice, syngirl! I'll pay AA a visit, then!

By the way, if the flights are LAN operated, can go to LAN's office? There is one 4 blocks from here, whereas AA is far away in Capital.

At one point we were looking to ship things overland from Peru to Paraguay. Bolivia was the only reasonable option for overland shipments without going so far out of the way that it became more expensive than shipping via ocean freight. The companies we were talking to basically told us they wouldn't do it, that we would have to use small local companies and they wouldn't recommend it. When asked why they told us Bolivia was one of the worst overland routes in SA due to bandits.

I would imagine tourists driving through would have possible issues.

Back