Good camera store?

YES, most things on Mercado Libre are "smuggled".
But what you should do is BUY IT ONLINE IN THE USA and then HAVE A FRIEND SHIP IT TO YOU "INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS" via US Postal Service.
1) It gets here in 5 to 6 days (WEEKENDS INCLUDED)
2) It comes straight to your door. (No going to Retiro to pick it up and have it inspected.)
3) I just had the same thing done this past Friday and it got here either yesterday or today. (I didn't go to my office yesterday.)
4) I did this with a camera (small one-touch) last year and have had things sent this way THREE TIMES and never had a problem.
Do what you want, but the fastest, cheapest, surest way to get your shit is to buy it online in the States and then have someone "International Express" it to you. It will cost UNDER USA$100 and just have them open the package and write "old camera"/ "old radio"/...

Hey,

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I ended up buying a new Canon 450D on mercadolibre (Mirtan Online) for $930 dollars. I understand that I could have bought one in the USA and had it shipped, but I got conflicting accounts from different people on whether or not this was safe.

Now, I'm off to Bolivia and Peru with my new camera!

Ken

Am going to BA with an 35mm SLR and a point-and-shoot camera that still take film....any idea where to get film that is not just ASA100 and 200, but 400, 800, and even 1600? Or should I bring a lot of film with me?

I'm glad they love film. I'm thinking about getting a Holga (Lomo) and having it muled down here with my next group of visitors. I hear that they are AR$400 at MALBA, but they are the eqivalent about about AR$40-AR$60 in the States.

And film developing is cchhheeeeeaaaapppppp!!!!!!

Barbaro, barbaro!

napoleon, thanks for that bit of news. i too was deliberating about buying either an holga or diana before coming over, but might do like you, and get one of the many friends coming to visit me over the course of the next year to bring it with them. makes more sense. 400 pesos at MALBA. i remember seeing them for sale when i was last there in 2003 but that's daylight robbery!

am bringing with me a lovely late 70s canon rangefinder, and a praktica slr from the same era, both of which i picked up in charity shops for next to nothing. doing a bit of self tutouring at the mo but i think that's the best way to learn, trial and error. BA is a nice backdrop for inspiration!

So how much would a roll of 35mm fujifilm 400ASA (36frames) cost in general? Or would it be hard to get "professional film"?

Back