Google FI internet speeds

Hello - Does anyone know a place to buy a Google Fi SIM in town? My daughter had phone stolen and bought a new android phone and was wondering is she can guy Google Fi SIM in local store?

you can't buy that here, it's only available in the US. plus, you need to activate it while in the USA.

Hello - Does anyone know a place to buy a Google Fi SIM in town? My daughter had phone stolen and bought a new android phone and was wondering is she can guy Google Fi SIM in local store?
If the new Android phone has eSIM functionality, she should log in to her Google Fi account in a laptop/browser and chat with help desk to walk her through how to transfer her Fi service to the new phone. If not eSIM support (and too late to return and replace the new phone), maybe she can convince Google Fi people to FEDEX her a new SIM in Argentina. She needs to talk to Google Fi customer support and ask them to help her.

Otherwise, she should just buy a local service (prepaid) and use it while in Argentina, and have her google Fi service paused in the meantime so she doesn't have to pay for it.

you can't buy that here, it's only available in the US. plus, you need to activate it while in the USA.
I think since she already has the service activated, it is just a matter of transferring the service to a new phone even if not in USA

First, you should start a new forum thread instead of hijacking this unrelated thread.

The replies today explain good options, except it is not possible to active eSim or physical SIM outside the USA. The best option, if she must have fi, is to have google mail a new sim to your USA address. Then activate it on any supported borrowed phone you have there. It does not matter if that phone has service from Fi or other service, since it is temporary. Once activated on your daughters account, then mail the physical sim to her in Argentina. The sim will work fine here. I have several sims, some data only. I have put them in several UNLOCKED phones and ipads.

While you are going to all that trouble, you should also ask google to also send a data only sim to you, activate on any phone (it will work as data only), and mail it to her as a data only backup if this situation ever happens again. Data only sims are free.

its super easy to get a local sim anyway, it would probably be better to go by Personal and get one

its super easy to get a local sim anyway ...
Really? I don't think you can register a SIM card without a DNI.
Well, there are plans specifically for tourists, but it is a different story.

I don't understand how anyone still has google fi data service (internet) here?. I have unlimited plus. Am I missing something? They shut me off after 3 months and said i could only do calls/text, no data after 3 months abroad. They reactivate when i go to the states but shut off again here as soon as i arrive. I have a personal esim for data that is a decent fix but not ideal.

I don't understand how anyone still has google fi data service (internet) here?. I have unlimited plus. Am I missing something? They shut me off after 3 months and said i could only do calls/text, no data after 3 months abroad. They reactivate when i go to the states but shut off again here as soon as i arrive. I have a personal esim for data that is a decent fix but not ideal.
The recent posted question this week was in regards to their daughter. Assuming a student or some one here for the semester, or other short term.

For me google Fi is very helpful when traveling anywhere in the world. Short term visits. When in Argentina I use for a few days or when traveling to Chile or Uruguay, and then pause it for the rest of the time in Argentina. It cost nothing, as in zero U$D to keep the SIM and put back in a phone later. It is a backup phone plan to keep forever and one I recommend to anyone who has time to set it up when in the USA.

Last edited:
Back