Got Nailed In Eze Customs

To brive has until 8 years of jail, so, seems to risky to be proactive in my professional opinion.

And jails are full of people for trying to bribe custom agents , hardly anyone gets away , i guess that's why the overpopulation in Argie jails lol (in my unprofessional opinion, of course)

I continue to be amazed at how many times someone (and more often then not, someone different) suggests or hints at breaking the law. Either affixing a fraudulent serial number on a "beater" or bribing a customs official.

I guess after 41+ years in uniform - 30 military and almost 11 as a US Customs Officer I still can pride myself on my integrity. Folks it just isn't worth it to me to take a chance of going to prison in Argentina, Colombia, or any other place my wife and I travel to. Two years ago, returning from BA to the states (after a week in Bogota on the way home) I declared all that I bought and paid a whopping $38 dollars in duty. It didn't break the Bank of Tim - I have too much retirement income to lose if I were to be arrested/convicted (all federal retirement) and after spending 3 hours in San Quentin giving a presentation to 30 inmates - I decided I don't ever want to fill out a change of address card with a "State or Federal Correction Institute" as part of my mailing address!

On the issue of arriving in Argentina with "expensive electronics" in three trips in 4 years, my bags haven't even been X-rayed let alone searched.

cwo4uscgret - "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I guess after 41+ years in uniform - 30 military and almost 11 as a US Customs Officer I still can pride myself on my integrity". Agree, US Customs Officer = integrity, In many cases, ARG Customs Officer does not necessarily = integrity. Not one of the agents I bribed between 1989 and 2001 ever rejected the $$ or reported me. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]​As a matter of fact, in 2001 (at the height of the economic crisis) the agent said to my ex...."flaco, vas a tener que tirarme unos mangos mas...la cosa está[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] fea y tengo que adornar a varios". Loosely interpreted....."you are going to have to increase the $$$....things are bad and I need to keep higher ups happy with their share".[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"On the issue of arriving in Argentina with "expensive electronics" in three trips in 4 years, my bags haven't even been X-rayed let alone searched." [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Happy to hear your experience was positive.[/background]

The place in the world where I saw the incidence of bribery needing the most discouragement was the taxi inspection building and offices of the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission out in Queen's. Every single room and inspection area out there had a huge stencilled sign on its wall reminding employees that accepting a bribe is a crime. That was the only 'art' on walls. Imagine doing your respectable job all day while sitting under that!

I'm surprised to here that Customs looked closely at anything. This is the 1st time I've heard of that. Maybe something to do with the new regime.

T/
I think I've been misinterpreted. I was NOT suggesting a bribe. I was just saying that in the last 9 years of back and forth between USA and Argentina, I have never been inspected and this is the first time I have even heard of anybody being inspected by customs. Usually it's the X-ray machine and they don't even take the custom form.

Usually it's the X-ray machine and they don't even take the custom form.

Interesting point. I've been coming down twice a year for ... how many? ... around fifteen years and can't remember when the last time was that an official asked for or took that customs form we're issued on the plane. It still requires you to list your precious cell phone's make and model as if having one were some kind of novelty.

TomAtAlki - Yes, I misinterpreted your post. I apologize. I, as well, place my suitcase and laptop bag thru the X-ray machine and the agent waves me thru without taking my customs form. Perhaps the device in question looked suspect to the agent and decided to visually inspect it.

Back