Got Nailed In Eze Customs

EzeizaTraveller

Registered
Hi guys,

A question for all you experienced travelers. I live in BA and a friend brought me an expensive electronic device $2000 and he got nailed while going through customs.

They took down its model number and serial number and looked up how much it cost. They told me that if he didn't bring it back with him when he left, they'd charge him $700.

My question is... if he happens to get robbed while he is here and files a police report, will he be able to leave the country and show the police report without getting charged the $700 customs fee?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Maybe buy some cheap, broken device, and put the serial number of the new device onto the old broken device and leave with it. Only if this is legal, of course.

I've never heard of making a record of something brought in and then customs checking to see if you're taking it with you when you leave. At what point would they check?

Usually if you have to pay a tax, you pay it in the moment of entry. Once it's here, I doubt they're going to look for it when you leave, but I don't know.

Ezeiza Traveller - is it US$700 or $700 pesos?

Camel - For the last 5 years, Customs has been registering new electronic items being brought into the country by tourists. Devices with high ticket items that would be deemed highly unlikely for a tourist to need during his visit. The model and serial number would be recorded on the back pages of the passport. Now they may have a different procedure.

Crema Americana - As travelers exit from Ezeiza, there is desk before going to the 'travelers only' waiting area where one shows the Customs agent that the item is leaving the country with the traveler. If not, the traveler is directed to the airport branch of Banco Nacion to pay the fine.

ARG passport holders and those with passports from Mercosur countries get a different treatment. But I don't know how that works officially. My friends/family used to bribe the agent during the inspection. Now they go to Santiago de Chile via Mendoza, make the purchase and have it delivered to their hotel. If bought at a large electronic store, the seller "takes care of everything".

I'm surprised to here that Customs looked closely at anything. This is the 1st time I've heard of that. Maybe something to do with the new regime.

T/

Ezeiza Traveller - is it US$700 or $700 pesos?

Camel - For the last 5 years, Customs has been registering new electronic items being brought into the country by tourists. Devices with high ticket items that would be deemed highly unlikely for a tourist to need during his visit. The model and serial number would be recorded on the back pages of the passport. Now they may have a different procedure.

Crema Americana - As travelers exit from Ezeiza, there is desk before going to the 'travelers only' waiting area where one shows the Customs agent that the item is leaving the country with the traveler. If not, the traveler is directed to the airport branch of Banco Nacion to pay the fine.

ARG passport holders and those with passports from Mercosur countries get a different treatment. But I don't know how that works officially. My friends/family used to bribe the agent during the inspection. Now they go to Santiago de Chile via Mendoza, make the purchase and have it delivered to their hotel. If bought at a large electronic store, the seller "takes care of everything".
This is the most important phrase you need to learn when entering Argentina ''bueno, sisi como no, claro claro, blah blah blah soccer game blah blah blah pero....... como arreglamos? take notes you rookies! ;)

McKenna - very practical advice. I couldn't have said it more succinctly. But for those who might not have been here for years,

TomatAlki - Because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. Bribing has been a common practice at Ezeiza during other gov'ts. Slipping $$$ to a customs agent is not a cloak and dagger maneuver in ARG. Some consider it an exercise in expediency to bypass the haggling with the agent when you bring high ticket imported items. For example, try bringing a depth sonar for a outboard motor boat priced at West Marine for US$500. Perhaps the difference now is that under Macri the agents will not succumb to bribery and enforce the custom laws..

Between 1989 and 2001 (during Menem and De La Rua presidencies), my ex and I arrived here annually hauling 2 suitcases each filled with new household items for our house and new parts for our Volvo station wagon and his BMW motorcycle.

We used to place $20 bills folded inside our passports (his ARG, mine USA) which we would hand to the agent before the unzipping of our suitcases. The inspection was perfunctory and we were on our way. My ex now resides in Mexico City and flies to and from California. He bribes the custom authorities at Juarez Airport during every trip. Does the same when he goes to El Salvador to visit as his brother asks him to bring nautical electronic devices.

I no longer concern myself with bribes at Ezeiza as there is nothing I need to bring that would warrant it.

EzeizaTraveller - the deed is done. Be prepared (but do not hastily volunteer) to pay the US$700 or have your friend take back the device. The haggling should have happened when your friend was facing the agent. But I reiterate, under Macri's directive maybe things have changed. And do pigs fly? It may be a new gov't but working are the same agents that were there with the K's.

Back