Got Nailed In Eze Customs

Hi everyone,

My friend got out of the country safe and sound today and no one had blocked his passport or anything. So it looks like it was just a customs agent fishing for a bribe when he was coming into the country.

We went to the airport today with the intention of paying the taxes they asked us and we never did the police report at the suggestion of everyone here. So he got out fine and no one charged us anything. So it seems to me like if you make it into the country with your stuff you are home free and nothing happens on the way out.

Glad to get this over with!

Thank you for reporting back. I am glad your outcome was positive.

My opinion... if the Customs agent who checked your friend's bags upon entry did not enter the brand and model # of the device on their system, how could that info be retreated at the time of his departure. Exit passengers do not go thru Customs. Only the Immigration checkpoint where the exit stamp is placed.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In this case, I don't think the agent was fishing for a bribe. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]It could have been "his way" of giving your friend a warning. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I noticed when I went thru Customs in January, all the agents were young and appeared to be a new crop of trainees. Yet I did not see a supervisor hovering over the X-ray machines as is customary. [/background]

Things at Ezeiza are not very good these days.

It is true that the customs are opening lot of suitcases unlike before and behaving differently than before aka the relaxed/casual attitude.

I am not sure what they are looking for. But I did notice some blokes having a tough time.

My suitcases were opened as well and lot of questions asked but no money/fine/bribe etc were discussed.

I just came in a week ago and everything seemed to be the same as ever, little to no attention given to obviously foreign tourists but rompiendo las pelotas of the locals. I , as always, was waved right on through with my 2 huge suitcases and 2 carry-ons. The agent asked one latin looking guy where he was from, when he said the states she waved him on through, I imagine if he had said "buenos aires" his experience would have been different.
(this is purely anecdotal, based on my own experience, I do not promote bribes or law breaking)

Through EZE this AM. Customs, longest line ever experienced in nine years. My luggage was requested to be opened and contents inspected. Did not seem like anyone was getting a passthrough. Argentines seemed to be getting the worst of it. Also, think it is worth noting my passport has been closely scrutinized by immigration my last two trips, every page reviewed, blanks included. Think they may be looking for any adverse notations. Have accumulated quite a number of entry and exit stamps over the years. Have no overstays, and not come close to staying in the country for 90 days in a single trip, nor exceed 180 day limit in a year. Make about five trips a year. Everything I think is above board: tourist. Anyway, no problems but it has changed at EZE in my view.

YMMV

Through EZE this AM. Customs, longest line ever experienced in nine years. My luggage was requested to be opened and contents inspected. Did not seem like anyone was getting a passthrough. Argentines seemed to be getting the worst of it. Also, think it is worth noting my passport has been closely scrutinized by immigration my last two trips, every page reviewed, blanks included. Think they may be looking for any adverse notations. Have accumulated quite a number of entry and exit stamps over the years. Have no overstays, and not come close to staying in the country for 90 days in a single trip, nor exceed 180 day limit in a year. Make about five trips a year. Everything I think is above board: tourist. Anyway, no problems but it has changed at EZE in my view.

YMMV

If you don't mind, what was in your bag/s? Was it anything that might have presented a problem or did they simply give them a check for the sake of it?

If you don't mind, what was in your bag/s? Was it anything that might have presented a problem or did they simply give them a check for the sake of it?
Contents in inspected luggage contained a hell of a lot more groceries than personal items: inspected luggage. Had a laptop, iPad and cell in brief case which they did not inspect. In the past agents have turned a blind eye to checked luggage contents. Did notice the the puppy dogs sniffing around on some of the luggage carousels. Are they smuggling drugs/$$$ into Argentina through EZE now? Beats the heck out of me what is going on or what they were looking for. Definitely different atmosphere for me this trip. Still think customs in Argentina is very tolerant about what is brought into the country than what I have experienced elsewhere.

Contents in inspected luggage contained a hell of a lot more groceries than personal items: inspected luggage. Had a laptop, iPad and cell in brief case which they did not inspect. In the past agents have turned a blind eye to checked luggage contents. Did notice the the puppy dogs sniffing around on some of the luggage carousels. Are they smuggling drugs/$$$ into Argentina through EZE now? Beats the heck out of me what is going on or what they were looking for. Definitely different atmosphere for me this trip. Still think customs in Argentina is very tolerant about what is brought into the country than what I have experienced elsewhere.

Dennisr, from which airport in the US did you fly to BA? The only time EZE customs checks my luggage is when I arrive from MIA. Never a check coming from NYC/DFW/ATL.

Back