Great Things Argentina has that home doesn´t

I prefer the kiss on the cheek over handshakes or simple nods. My hubby misses the Cuban cigars and grilled provoletas.

MizzMarr said:
So, I take it you've never been to Vegas, Tom?
;) (I know, assuming you're american)

I, too, am a fan of the more leisurely pace that people here take towards just about everything (they do get wound up when they drive though!). I also love how everything starts and stays open late.

Vegas many times but not in about 25 years. I just like the pretty little pictures of the pretty half naked women plastered all over the city. :cool: And I do mean all over the city on eveything that a post it can stick too.

so many... Hummingbirds in the parks, the weather, the people and their way of living, the humor....Give Buenos Aires a better infrastructure, less inflation and more stability, take the traffic from the streets … it would be paradise for me!

Jacarandas, empanadas, access to luxury private health care & schools, super warm & friendly people, coriander and strawberries at a giveaway price (in fact all fruit & veg), crazy OTT kids parties, fernandos, mate or great vino with friends,..and much much more...

And one of my personal favorites - The Police that are NOT hiding behind bill boards with radar guns and do not act like tyrannical ego maniacs on steroids.

Here's a few generalities:

The best of Europe (an appreciation for high culture, style, savoir-vivre, and personal appearance) with the approachability and warmth more particular to the Western hemisphere.

The incredible openness of the people in Buenos Aires, considering that it is an enormous cultural capital. Compare attitudes in New York, London or Paris.

As the efficient, effective places in the world turn more towards monitoring their citizens, it's nice to be in a place that is together enough to function, but just kind of rolls along...

Along the same lines, there is a bit of enjoyable grit in this city. All the big cities in the states are sepulchres of gentrifying wealth or post-industrial putrefaction. You can still have innocent misadventures here that give life a bit of an edge.

$0.25 USD public transport. Anywhere that's close to pedestrianized in the states it's eight times that. You think twice about taking the subway sometimes when it is $2.25 USD.

The rent is still affordable. Compare again to New York, Paris, or London. Especially considering the near unavailability in those places of "tourist rentals".

Among the best nightlife in the world.

Lindas/Lindos, whatever you're into. The people here are nice looking.

Everything that might take the North by economic surprise, whether it's default, massive inflation, austerity, or what have you, has already happened here. The people will be able to cope if it happens again. I'd hate to be in the US during an economic paradigm shift. People are already willing to trample each other for TVs the day after Thanksgiving. What happens when that's for food?

HeyBA said:
Especially for Shankees, like yours truly, the detritus of my generation, the Wall Street criminals and the illiterate "creatives", who judge themselves and others by just how much they can take or how recondite their playlist is, the irretractable poisonous growth in the imperial shower head, spraying its financial "innovation" and funky beats over the entire naked, vulnerable, unknowing, and beautiful world, simply is not here in person.

Alright, now I'm going to go check my stock quotes and update my iPod.

Hmmm so you are going to check your investments into and with criminals, I am just sayin! After reading your post, I would think the last thing you would be doing is investing or using an ipod!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9JVXzoOYQ

Then again your a Shankee right?

Oh, here's one: a population that's not completely over-medicated (yet.) After living in a country where direct to consumer advertising is banned, it's kind of horrifying to come back and see Adam Levine hawking ADHD pharmaceuticals during "Glee" commercial breaks, antidepressant ads everywhere from magazines to the side of the bus, and stupid fake diseases like "Restless Leg Syndrome." Yes, a lot of Argentines are a little codependent on their shrinks, but I prefer that to the American approach of popping a pill for everything from a bad mood to a headache.

Back