Greatest Hits: Ba Expat Characters And Incidents

MikeB12

Registered
This most recent post about HMS Beagle getting his passport confiscated for apparently no good reason reminds of all the wacky stories I've come across on BA Expats over the years. Not trying to make light of any one's hardships or be insensitive , but come on...some of the situations on here are truly stranger than fiction. Here are a few to get the ball rolling.

1. HMS Beagle aka Man Without a Country - US Embassy takes away his passport and refuses to issue new one.

2. Mc Kenna - Almost gets into western style shoutout in BA province, placed on probation. Starts fixing the local police's guns free of cost in a bid to curry favor with authorities.

3. The Curious Incident of Internation Man and Joe - International Man borrows $1,000 from Joe. Promptly goes to Punta del Este and loses it all playing poker. In a bid to get back his money Joe obligates International Man to participate in a series of Skype interviews while International Man bikes around Punta. Joe creates a website to auction off IM's personal possessions that IM had left at Joe's apartment. IM eventually pays off portion of debt, and Joe calls it a day.

And according to some people i know, this guy should play 'me' when they make BAexpats the movie lol
ppmcraney_01.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if this story "counts," but about 4 years ago, when flying from BA back to the USA, I was taken out of the immigration queue and temporarily detained in the Atlanta airport due to a very unfortunate misunderstanding about a cough that I was experiencing due to acid reflux. If you care to read it, it's all here:

www.vagrantviolet.com/2014/06/look-floor-just-look-floor/

Spoiler: I was almost denied entry into my own country and sent back to Argentina (where I am not a citizen), missed my connecting flights, and will never fly Delta again! Definitely one of my worst (but most memorable) incidents as a result of living abroad.

I've got a few other doozies, but this one is (one of) the craziest.

Spoiler: I was almost denied entry into my own country and sent back to Argentina (where I am not a citizen), missed my connecting flights, and will never fly Delta again! Definitely one of my worst (but most memorable) incidents as a result of living abroad.

What has Delta to do with what happened at the US border? They're not CDC.

What has Delta to do with what happened at the US border? They're not CDC.

Because it turned out that someone from the Delta crew had "tipped off" that I was the one with the cough without speaking with me first to find out what was going on, so the CDC was waiting for me... Moreover, a few days later when they had sent an automated "Tell Us How We Did" survey and I wrote about what I had experienced, I never received a reply or acknowledgement of any sort.
In any case, a very unpleasant situation.

What gives airline personnel the idea that they have this sort of authority over people?

What gives airline personnel the idea that they have this sort of authority over people?

The fine print
Get used to it.

and the OP subject has already changed ...
I nominate the Turnstile Jumper / call center operator that cheated a few ex-pats.

Thanks, Tangerine. I was writing this when you made the previous post:

Reporting contact with an international fugitive in BA? http://baexpats.org/...gitive-in-ba/ was viewed over 35,000 times and received 200 replies before it was locked.

This was post number fourteen:

motorcyclemama
Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

I am monitoring this thread...while it is still up. Posts about this individual get yanked off this board frequently. He appears to be the same person who didn't pay his employees at the Call-South telemarketing firm. I have personal experience and knowledge because I worked at the firm when it first started. My husband and I both did. We questioned Bills ethics and quit. We worked for a month before quitting but never received a dime in pay. He bragged to his employees that he had a car dealership in the states and wealthy parents..."you will be paid"....
I think some of the employees got paid after we left. Don't know if they were all paid or paid everything they were due since we quit. Also be advised my husband and I are both experienced business professionals and internationally certified fraud examiners.

PS: The thread about jumping turnstiles: "Tren de la Costa" can be found here: http://baexpats.org/...en-de-la-costa/

PS2: His "car dealership" in the States was apparently a "leasing company" in which he allegedly took over leases from individuals who wanted out of their contracts. I believe he "fraud" charges included the allegation that he then leased the cars to others...without paying off the original contract.

I enjoyed the thread about the "Stenoblauch Synedrome" which, unfortunately, (depending on your point of view), resulted in the "fatality" of one forum member.

http://baexpats.org/topic/31629-baexpats-wiki/

Back