Growing Vegetables in Buenos Aires

Yes simple if you can get drip or trickle irrigation like this http://www.access-irrigation.co.uk/ see also RHS website.

guess you have either 1. holes that are too big or 2. insufficient head (not intended to be personal comments :) )

I've got some trickle tape from the pound store which aint bad for soaking a raised bed from a rainbutt which has a head of no more than I metre height. Ill check if still around and if Ive got room in my measly bag allowance (cut price cattle class) to bring over in a couple of weeks Ill let you know

I haven't put it together yet. My idea was simply to put a y-valve on the end of the plastic tube that comes off of the condensor. Run one branch of the y into our overflow barrel. Run the other branch to a longer plastic hose that I could lay across our buckets. What I can't figure is how not to have all of the water drip into the first bucket and not water the rest of the buckets down the line.

One idea was to punch the drip holes up on the side of the hose and seal the end. That way the water level would rise through the entire hose and then drip out all at the same time. Not sure about that, though.

One idea was to punch the drip holes up on the side of the hose and seal the end. That way the water level would rise through the entire hose and then drip out all at the same time. Not sure about that, though.

Yes, that is the way a standard drip-line system works. However, generally it is hooked up to a faucet head so you have pressure which keeps the lines full and the dripping even. I think this would work on your system, IF the quantity of water coming from your source is enough to fill the lines and keep them full. The rate at which the water from your source enters the tube system must be faster than the rate of water exiting through drips, again, to keep the lines full of water. I think....trail and error is my tool of choice

Not sure about a "farmers almanac" but I would be just as interested to find one. And again, would definitely be down to meet for a beer to talk farming/gardening/horticulture with you and anyone else interested. As the summer continues im interested in trying to grow rasberries, blueberries and other non-traditional BA crops. Will send ya a message mid Dec. when i return.

Hey,

Id be interested in meeting up with anyone, or group, at a bar or cafe sometime after Dec. 8th for garden talk + seed exchange. Anyone interested? I have been growing "una huerta" here for 2 years now. I have a good collection of seeds and an argentine planting calander i could bring along. At the moment I have a tomatoes, carrots, beats, 3 dif. types of lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas, and baby cucumbers in the ground. let me know.

Saludos
I have heirloom tomato seeds (speckled roman and a few black krim seeds left). I have a whole lot of pepper seeds too, if you are interested. I have some hibiscus flower (zinger tea), echinacea and amaranth seeds too. I have filled our balcony to the brim and can't use the seeds fast enough, so many of the seeds are pretty old, but most of what I planted this year came up, so it's worth a shot. I offer them for free to whoever makes their way over first.
I'd be up for that. Would enjoy learning about how to grow vegetables here. Is there such thing as a Farmer's Almanac in Argentina?

I would be interested in meeting up for some discussion on growing in Buenos Aires! Has this been planned yet? Please email me at [email protected]. Unfortunately, I don't have any seeds to offer for an exchange, but would be overjoyed at the idea of some generous soul sharing with me. I'm also a house plant nutt and would be delighted if anyone had some clippings they would be willing to part with...

Kind regards,
Jen

Cool thread! I've been reading up on hydroponics/aeroponics and would like to experiment w building a small home system. Anybody have experience with that here? Know where I could buy nutrient solution, ultrasonic fogger, etc, or see a working system to learn more about it?

http://www.cannabisclub.com.ar/ and similar are probably a good place to start for hydroponics here. They're in Recoleta and have a lot of equipment and inputs on display in-store. I've also seen things advertised on Mercadolibre.

I've got a bunch of seeds planted (including Speckled Roman and Black Krim tomatoes), it's exciting to see it all come up.

mmmmm Black Krim, This is why id like to get a Indoor/Outdoor Gardening Talk, Seed Exchange going, over a beer in downtown. I have a few SunGold cherry tomatoe seeds I can part with, along with lots of other seeds. Anyone interested in getting together maybe towards the end of next week or in two weeks? I can do anytime after 8 30pm and can meet anywhere in CF.

Saludos!

Back