Guns & daycare

GS_Dirtboy said:
Keep in mind the firearm culture here is VERY different from what you are used to back home.

Good luck!

Not my home TG the crazies havnt taken over

Kindly respect not everyone here who considers themselves to be an english speaking ex-pat comes from the culture you define as home

PhilinBSAS said:
Not my home TG the crazies havnt taken over

US bashing completely unnecessary.

I'd love to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

JWB said:
Ok, 2 questions...

2. Anyone have any suggestions for a great daycare for a 2.5 year old boy in Palermo?? We are looking for something part time (3 hours per day) AND most important, the flexibility to go for a few months without having to pay for an entire year.

Much love!

Regarding the daycare part of your question -- there's pretty much no way around paying the matriculation (initiation fee essentially). After that you'll have to pay your monthly regardless whether or not your child is attending or not -- ie I'm going home for a month in August and we still have to pay for the month of daycare. In theory if we were just happy to find a different daycare when I got back, we could just withdraw him and not pay August's fee. However then if I changed daycare's when we got back, we'd have to pay another matriculation fee -- and the matriculation as far as I remember from when we looked at daycares, are the same for the year regardless if your child starts in Sept or January. I'm not 100%.

Also you can pay for just X number of hours, but you have to pay for 5 days a week -- I pay for 6 hrs a day, 5 days a week, but if I don't want to send him one day I don't have to. It works out to about 12 pesos an hour though, much cheaper than a nanny.

However your child is 2.5 years old so you actually have a choice of sending them to a Jardin Maternal -- a preschool. I'm not sure if they can start at any time of year though, or if they have to start at the beginning of the school year. A daycare you'll be able to choose the hours you send them -- ie if you want to send your child for three hours from 11-2 everyday you can, but a Jardin Maternal will have a set programme. However they are only a few hours a day. (here you'll find comparison of Jardines v Guarderias http://espanol.pregnancy-info.net/jardin_o_guarderia.html)

Which barrio are you in? We are in Las Canitas and needed a baby room -- yours is older so your criteria might be a bit different. We looked at 3 different ones and they all feel a bit Dickensian, but I think probably any daycare does when you're a first time parent sending your 6 mos old baby. One I didn't like the director, she had a crappy attitude. One we didn't like because it was in a very old building and the baby room was 2 floors up very steep stairs.

We went with Shailand Garden on Luis Maria Campos. The director is very nice, right when I met her I had a good feeling, and the rooms for the babies and younger children are all on the main floor so they don't have to climb up and down the stairs. There's a garden with some playground toys out back and they put in a large splash pool in the summers so that all the kids and babies have a turn with their class out in the water.

Most importantly for us is that our child seems really happy there -- when I drop him off and pick him up he's all smiles and the girls love him. They do a lot of different activities and he's definitely miles ahead of my friends' babies who are kept at home.

So without knowing your barrio it's hard to give a recommend for a particular daycare. In Las Canitas for instance there are not a lot of options for daycares, but once your reach 1 year old there are more schools and options out there.

A couple of general recommends though is to forget about getting the menu for your child -- you should plan on sending them with food if you have the time at all to make it -- the standard menu is really depressing -- pastas and cheese, milanesa, fish sticks, gelatine dessert etc. Check out the hygiene standards, a lot of the buildings are really old but you at least want to make sure they try to keep everything clean.

PhilinBSAS said:
the crazies havnt taken over

At the mention of "crazies" who should pop his head out from under the bridge?

Sad and predictable :D

Our own little pet

I've seen my neighbor firing an air rifle so I bought one yesterday. At the gun shop was a long list of restrictions for purchasing firearms but the salesman said there are no restrictions on air guns.

Can an ordinary person purchase an air pistol and carry it concealed in Argentina without getting into a heap of trouble?

JWB said:
1. I'm planning on bringing my hand-gun from the states. I've been trying to call the embassy in Los Angeles and can't get through. I read somewhere that since I have a conceal permit in the U.S. I can sign a few papers to have the gun legally in Argentina. Does anyone have any additional info on this OR advice for bringing in the gun??

Throughout the years I probably brought more than 15 firearms from the US including handguns in 9mm .40S&W 3.57sig 38super 45ACP 44magnum, rifles in 22lr 17hmr 30.06 .308 300WSM 338 lapua magnum and shotguns in 12g 16g 20g, the process is fairly straightforward, there is no need to contact the embassy you just go to the renars website download the forms and that's pretty much it. Do you have any specific questions? Or you are just wondering about 'carry' ? There's no such thing as CCW in Argentina even if you bring yours from the states you cannot and will not get a conceal carry permit as a civilian here those are only reserved to LEO's*.

Tortuga said:
Can an ordinary person purchase an air pistol and carry it concealed in Argentina without getting into a heap of trouble?

Yes and No.
Rule of thumb, no CCW. Period.

xtrasback said:
Throughout the years I probably brought more than 15 firearms from the US including handguns in 9mm .40S&W 3.57sig 38super 45ACP 44magnum, rifles in 22lr 17hmr 30.06 .308 300WSM 338 lapua magnum and shotguns in 12g 16g 20g, the process is fairly straightforward, there is no need to contact the embassy you just go to the renars website download the forms and that's pretty much it. Do you have any specific questions?

I'm considering bringing a 9mm pistol in my shipping container as part of the residency process and was advised against it. Do you know if there's any more or less hassle bringing firearms in a shipping container vs. a suitcase? Is it possible to bring ammunition?

Tortuga said:
I'm considering bringing a 9mm pistol in my shipping container as part of the residency process and was advised against it. Do you know if there's any more or less hassle bringing firearms in a shipping container vs. a suitcase? Is it possible to bring ammunition?

Is it just me or the way you wrote that makes it sound as if bringing it would be a requirement for your residency? hah jk
I failed to mention in my previous post that the firearms were brought-in by me in my checked luggage, I have never used another method so I couldn't give you any advise on 'shipping containers', but I'd go as far as recommending you to bring them with you instead of using any kind of shipping, contrary to popular beliefs traveling with firearms is no hassle at all you just gotta spend maybe an extra 5 min during check-in waiting for the tsa guys while they 'perform a visual inspection' and then maybe another 10' once you get to Ezeiza at the renars office, as for ammo yes it is also possible to bring, although you gotta check with renar because there is a limit on the amount of rounds you can enter (I reload so I never travel with more than 200 rounds and never had a problem)
I honestly don't understand those who advise against doing things they have never done before.

disclaimer: I'm not a gun smuggler I used to compete in IDPA/IPSC and my father (born and raised in Montana) now lives in a ranch in Argentina so I kinda have to buy him more and more toys every time I visit hahah.

Back