Halloween In Buenos Aires!?

did you also use turnips like us poors in Scotland?

Had to sing the "goose is getting fat" song to get your few pennies, which laterally became sweets. I think pumpkins are a recent development, but I was usually to busy getting up to no good with smoke bombs and bangers to be paying any attention to vegetables. Ducking for apples was popular, and the apple tart with pennies hidden inside. You had to have a wee poke about before you bit in.

The celtic pre-christian origins are related to Samhain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain , if you look here you'll see there were door to door "verses" (i always felt cheated when kids shouted trick or treat at home when we had to sing a song!) and stuff to do with fairies and souls of the dead etc.

When I was a kid it seemed like Halloween wasn't such a big deal in the UK as they seemed to be more focused on Guy Fawkes day, for us it was the 2nd best day of the year after Christmas. It's particularly associated with the NW of Ireland, Derry being a great place to spend halloween, I think they have a nighttime samhain walk or some sort of celebration in and around Dublin with an emphasis on the old celtic traditions too.

Of course there has been some "feedback" of US culture via movies and TV shows which now massively influence Halloween in Ireland, but its roots are Celtic, pagan and pre-christian.

An interesting article on the history of Halloween for any that are interested

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/14/spooky-truth-about-halloween-history_n_5955044.html

I know Halloween is really a United States event, but my (Argentine) boyfriend told me that it's becoming more and more recognized here, mostly for the children to dress up.

I also noticed Octubre de Terror on television (yay!).

I love the spirit of Halloween. Does anybody else miss it here? Do you know of any similar events in town this month?

It really depends on what type of events you're looking for. You'll find some of the expat frequented bars host Halloween parties or events. Also many Argentines enjoy costume parties so if you have one, you're likely to find a lot of guests dressing up, but they don't usually wander about town in costume like you might be used to in the US. We have found pumpkins in the supermarkets close to Halloween but the selection varies so if you see them, buy them then, as they often sell out quickly.

who cares where halloween is from? she was just asking about celebrating it lol. It would be great if they started celebrating it here in argentina, and the stupid ones that complaint about a "capitalism" what ever and that they don't want it here, are people that usually are bitter, or never had much of a chance to travel outside their nutshell and/or are needing a reason to complaint about a place that is better than this shit hole and will never get the chance to leave it. They should just let people be and enjoy what ever they like an look at their miserable lives and stop complaining about things beyond their control.

Back