Happy Pre-Columbus Day, everyone - and a question

elhombresinnombre

Registered
Tomorrow's Columbus Day is being celebrated today because public holidays are supposed to be good for the economy. But are they? Do we have the evidence?

In the UK the most recent instances of additional public holidays were the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II and the coronation of King Charles III and each event resulted in a measurable drop in economic performance. Why is it different in Argentina and if it isn't different, why do they still pedal the myth?

On holidays here I often see people packing the cafe's-out to eat, at the museums and movies. I would say Argentine folks are well versed at living in the moment and when they're granted a free day, they enjoy it to the best of their ability and in turn, it serves the economy? Certainly when they vacation, shop, dine out, enjoy the culture that sometimes can't be packed into a two-day weekend.

I don't have graphs to prove this is the way but I avoid going out on holidays/weekends precisely because everything is packed. Some cultures may take advantage more than others and some cultures are overworked so might have to spend their holiday time playing catch up. So many variables to take into account, but an interesting inquiry. Also, the holiday surrounding a recent death of the Queen might be a more somber, less commercial affair, naturally?

I lived in Germany for some time, and my (entirely unscientific, personal) observation was that the yearly economic growth correlated with the number of holidays falling on a weekend. Fewer holidays on weekdays, higher economic growth, something which the governments of the day were quick to claim credit for :rolleyes: .

Dour Germans might be less likely to have a day out and spend on a holiday than happy-go-lucky Argentinians, or maybe (more likely, I think) Germans spend their money in foreign holiday destinations, depressing the economic growth.

On holidays here I often see people packing the cafe's-out to eat, at the museums and movies. I would say Argentine folks are well versed at living in the moment and when they're granted a free day, they enjoy it to the best of their ability and in turn, it serves the economy? Certainly when they vacation, shop, dine out, enjoy the culture that sometimes can't be packed into a two-day weekend.

I don't have graphs to prove this is the way but I avoid going out on holidays/weekends precisely because everything is packed. Some cultures may take advantage more than others and some cultures are overworked so might have to spend their holiday time playing catch up. So many variables to take into account, but an interesting inquiry. Also, the holiday surrounding a recent death of the Queen might be a more somber, less commercial affair, naturally?
Interesting points and they could explain the phenomenon. Maybe the UK makes most of its money through its offices and factories and that drops when people are spending more time in cafes, shops and on the beach. Whenever a suggestion for an extra UK Bank Holiday comes up, it's knocked back by worries about losses to the economy and the only recent times we had one, the economy suffered. As it happens, I was in the UK for both those occasions and I spent more money each time than if it had been an ordinary day. But I never expected to rescue the British economy single handed!!!

They took away one of the few public holidays in Denmark to pay for the extra military spend post Ukraine war.

If you really want an answer to your question you could do worse than starting by reading this:
www.pewresearch.org

But if all you want to do is confirm your own personal prejudices then you are probably doing fine as you are.

Back