Has anyone used XOOM before?

bradlyhale said:
... operations through Xoom.com are effectively an outflow of capital. I wonder how long it will last...
bradlyhale said:
... they pay a premium for our dollars that end being wired to accounts in ... in some paraíso fiscal. It's essentially an OUTFLOW ...

Sorry, bradlyhale, I underestimated you. It looks like you are concerned about dollars moving out of the United States. Yes, who knows how long will it last. I think you should write to your congressman about it. You should also demand immediate repatriation of two thirds of total amount of paper dollars that circulate outside of the United States and all dollar denominated accounts overseas. Your letter will be even more convincing if you mention BCRA a few times.

Hello, i am visiting buenos aires and puerto iguazu for about a week from the US with friends (tourists.)

Heard about xoom and wanted to see if it would work to pick up money with US passport and US address. Or would address need to be in buenos Aires. We are renting an apt.

Any tourists try this before?

Thanks

rayjr75 said:
Hello, i am visiting buenos aires and puerto iguazu for about a week from the US with friends (tourists.)

Heard about xoom and wanted to see if it would work to pick up money with US passport and US address. Or would address need to be in buenos Aires. We are renting an apt.

Any tourists try this before?

Thanks
If I were you I would simply bring the cash with me ---- much safer!

To recap, there's a 10,000 ARS per month threshold for cash pickup in Argentina using More MT - under that threshold, I believe you won't need any additional documentation, you can pick your cash up directly from the Libertad location using your passport and the tracking number given by xoom.com. However, if you send an amount over that threshold, you'll need to provide additional documentation. It's a crapshoot whether xoom.com will inform you of this; you may need to call customer service and their compliance department yourself to inform them that you need to send them:

A scan of the first page of your passport
A scan of the declaration of origin & destination of funds, which they get from More MT Argentina

There is a possibility you will also have to scan or provide w/ pickup a copy of a recent bank statement. I needed this for my third transfer. Technically, I believe they're supposed to ask for your CUIT/CDI as well, but that hasn't happened yet for me. I've sent 3 transfers so far.

If someone has trouble getting a copy of the declaration of funds form from xoom.com, PM me and I'll send it to you. I don't know how to post it as an attachment to this thread.

Also: the xoom coupon "speedmay" was working, as of last week, for free transfers, including from a credit/debit card.

Dealing with xoom customer service is truly awful; no one seems to have any idea what's going on over there. In comparison, the more MT side was nice and smooth, although I agree that their location on Libertad seems slightly insecure due to the giant glass facade.

Folks,

If receiving cash, More MT on Libertad is the only real option? Xoom's web site also mentions Banco Frances branches. Is that not a viable option? Too much hassle (cola, etc.)?

I have a Banco Frances a block away and it is more convenient than schlepping to Libertad.

Thanks in advance.

recoleta said:
Folks,

If receiving cash, More MT on Libertad is the only real option? Xoom's web site also mentions Banco Frances branches. Is that not a viable option? Too much hassle (cola, etc.)?

I have a Banco Frances a block away and it is more convenient than schlepping to Libertad.

Thanks in advance.

You can't setup to receive pesos when you choose banco frances on xoom site, only option is USD for banco frances (instead moremt, only option is pesos). Result is, when you go to banco frances, they check on screen and due to current dollar regulation in argentina they can't give you dollars in cash, so they do exchange rate based on their rate, not xoom rate. I cancelled last operation on xoom site because this problem.

Thanks for all the input here, I'll just add my experience to help out.

Last week I used a US based credit card to send myself 300usd, I did a small amount just to test out the service...after hearing some people had their money stuck in financial purgatory for a few days. The charge showed up as a "service" and not a cash advance and I also got 300 miles out of the transaction. I typed in SPEEDMAY as the promo code and wasn't charged any transaction fees. The money was ready for pick up within an hour. Almost seems too good to be true.

The cons are you have to go to Libertad and Santa Fe to go pick up the cash, thats if you don't have an Argentine bank account...and there is no real security there, so I would probably feel a little nervous picking up large sums of money.

But all in all I'd recommend it.

seems to me xoom is far better use of time than going to Uruguay and even when you come back from Uruguay then you have to find a cuerva that can match xoom. From my experience this week i rec'd 5.4 from my cuerva which was less than xoom was offering. And I've learned that no expat here is going to show me the way to a cuerva offering better than xoom, or even better than my cuerva offers, although so many here do brag about getting close to 6 it has never been confirmed by a third party, so seems to me xoom is the best deal around.

Anyone know a current coupon for Xoom? Cruz and Speedmay aren't working any longer, and I don't see anything else when I google for coupons.

Back