Has anyone used XOOM before?

I used xoom recently and picked up pesos at the Libertad location. The whole thing was a little sketchy for me, but I had some faith because of some friends that had already used them successfully. It took me a full week to transfer $2k US, and it seemed that every customer service rep at xoom had some additional reason as to why it was taking so long.

I was initially asked for a copy of my bank statement in the US and then told that I just needed to show my passport or other government ID when picking up. Later they asked for a copy of my ID to be sent to them. The last customer service agent that I spoke with mentioned an authorization letter to allow xoom to send my ID to More Money Transfers...that's when I blew my lid and got a supervisor on the phone that seemed to make my money available for pick up within a half hour...this was about 4 days after funds had already been withdrawn from my US account. I wasn't exactly a happy camper...however the supervisor did give me a coupon to do my next transfer for free.

The pick up is a little sketchy as well. I really wish there was a More location other than on Libertad. As someone else mentioned, there is zero security with an unlocked door and windows to the street where anyone can watch you counting out 10k pesos (and I checked each bill to make sure there weren't any fakes). They did ask me a ton of questions, as well...Including my local addy, which again isn't comforting to give someone when walking out with 10k pesos. The guy also asked what the money was for and seemed to have to discuss this on the phone with someone before approving it. He asked what I was doing in Argentina and some other pointless questions, as well. They also seemed to scan my passport, so don't think this is some anonymous transaction. I just explained that I was sending money to myself for travel expenses in Argentina. All in all, a good adrenalin rush until you get home without being robbed.

Anyway, just wanted to report back. It is nice to know that everything is now costing me over 10% less after getting over 5 to the buck.

I have used, and a lot has been said about the cash pick up option, but anybody have success wiring directly to an Argentine bank account?

How long does it take if I were to use a debit card that in essense could have the funds authorized/debited straight away?

Yanqui- I sent directly to a Santander Rio account from my bank account here at 8 pm and the transaction showed complete at 9 am next morning. Couldn't get to the bank the next day but the following day the money was sitting in the account. Was supposed to be $2500.01 and they shorted me the .01 :)

I was happy. Was expecting worse.

When I sent the first U$S 25 test to my bank account here it took about 2 days.

Then I transfered U$S 2999 to my bank account and it took about two weeks - although there were two Argentine holidays which further delayed it. This larger transfer took longer because: (a) I had to approve a eCheck transaction from my US bank with Xoom; (b) I had to send Xoom a copy of my driver's license to prove my identity; (c) More Money Argentina required me to fill out a form for them in Argentina regarding source of the funds. I missed their first call and had to call back the second day.

Still, it all arrived...

Sleuth said:
When I sent the first U$S 25 test to my bank account here it took about 2 days.

Then I transfered U$S 2999 to my bank account and it took about two weeks - although there were two Argentine holidays which further delayed it. This larger transfer took longer because: (a) I had to approve a eCheck transaction from my US bank with Xoom; (b) I had to send Xoom a copy of my driver's license to prove my identity; (c) More Money Argentina required me to fill out a form for them in Argentina regarding source of the funds. I missed their first call and had to call back the second day.

Still, it all arrived...
This is a little too slow and too many check points and way too much ID exposure. I'm keeping the Schwab account because something here smells fishy. We will see.

ghost said:
This is a little too slow and too many check points and way too much ID exposure. I'm keeping the Schwab account because something here smells fishy. We will see.

I'm not sure about fishy - they have to comply with money laundering requirements. Still, if you're a resident, this will probably put you on AFIP's radar screen. For tourists, this is probably a better solution.

Seems like smaller transactions go through quickly and painlessly, where as the larger ones aren't so fast or easy. I wonder where that break point is, and also if it gets any easier after the first transaction.

I hit the wall today with Xoom. I did two transferslast week. Today I did one for 1500$ and it's stuck in no mans land waiting for "additional documents". With no answer to what I need. I'm sending this to myself via MoreMT. No bank. This place is fucked if I can't give them my money.

allforepar said:
Seems like smaller transactions go through quickly and painlessly, where as the larger ones aren't so fast or easy. I wonder where that break point is, and also if it gets any easier after the first transaction.

My experience picking up $2000USD in pesos was similar and different to that of the others. Someone from XOOM emailed me a day after I first initiated the transfer, wanting a digital copy of my passport and bank statement with name and billing address (US) at the top. Then I got a phone call to verify that it had gone through and to let me know of the location where I could pick it up (only the Libertad one:() The woman at the office didn't ask me much when I went in, only what my profession was, nothing else too personal. I decided to risk it and not stand there checking the money (she had already put it through the counting machine a few times) and just take it and get in the next cab I saw home. It cost 40p but I got ~1000p extra getting my money through XOOM instead of at the ATM.

allforepar said:
Just did my first Xoom transaction today, and took about an hour from intiating the transfer on the website until i got the E-mail that the money was ready for pickup($3000pesos(US$603.33)) I had a coupon code(speedmay) that resulted in zero fees so used a debit card that earns airline miles.
Pickup at Libertad took about 5 minutes no questions were asked of me.

Back