Has anyone used XOOM before?

I just phoned Xoom and was told that their services can not be used with a Canadian credit card, debit card, or bank account. U.S. only.

I use Xoom all the time. I had to get the CDI number & registered that with Banco Frances along with my passport number. Now when I need cash, I simply transfer it from my US account and receive pesos at Banco Frances. Though, I have never been able to receive more than $2500 at a time. Hopefully this has changed.

So in order to recieve Xoom pay outs in Argentina you need to be a resident? IE: A passport is not enough?

Western Union just requires a passport, but has higher fees and not as favorable of an exchange rate.

Does anyone know if these transactions are ¨registered¨ IE, if I send my landlady (who I know operates en negro) the amount of my rent and she picks it up would it be seen as income for her?

YanquiGallego said:
So in order to recieve Xoom pay outs in Argentina you need to be a resident?

You do not have to be a resident. You need a passport and a CDI (non-resident tax ID, that is pretty easy to get).

YanquiGallego said:
if I send my landlady (who I know operates en negro) the amount of my rent and she picks it up would it be seen as income for her?

AFIP will see the transaction. I guess, it is up to them how to qualify it.

xoom is down...undergoing maintenance.

any report on problems collecting transferred funds?

ctru said:
xoom is down...undergoing maintenance.

any report on problems collecting transferred funds?

I started a transfer at 12pm EST and got caught up in their scheduled maintanence times. Because of this, the fact that their partners are based off PST in the USA and Argentina is 4 hours hour ahead of them, the transfer was put delayed.

This morning at 12:30pm EST the transfer was finally completed, remember west coast is 9:30am so banks just opened a short time earlier, and I am good to go.

Will probably be doing another transfer tonight.

I just did a transfer today and got a rate of $5.09 ($5.035 after fees)! That's compared to Schwab's rate of $4.40 today and made me over $430 more.

Has anyone had any luck with xoom.com .. the site says it takes 15 minutes .. but it has been two days and still hasn't gone through????

Use the coupon code CRUZ to get the transfer for free from either a bank account or debit/credit card funding source (but don't use a credit card, because your issuer will charge you interest as a cash advance).

Sleuth said:
I just did a transfer today and got a rate of $5.09 ($5.035 after fees)! That's compared to Schwab's rate of $4.40 today and made me over $430 more.

You completed the transfer today?

Because I noticed that my night time transfers, NYC, take until mid-morning the next day to complete.

I think it might have to do with their west-coast partners.

Anybody else have this?

Back