Has anyone used XOOM before?

Stafford said:
Anyway, has anyone had success with this recently? Is there a major queue?

Friend of mine received a transfer a couple of days ago at More central location on Libertad. They asked him about a name of the person who had sent him the money and how are they related. He said: "He is my cousin". And that's it. No more questions.

Stafford said:
I am also considering USD, but I just highly doubt that Banco Frances is really going to hand over USD to me.

As I mentioned before, Banco Frances does not give out dollars. They convert them to peso according to the official rate.

Stafford - go for it. I did it last week at the More location on Libertad and Santa Fe near Piola. ZERO cola, was in and out in 3 minutes. Only needed passport. They asked me what the money was for and I said "soy estudiante"

Wow. Thank you all for the feedback. This is invaluable. There is no way I'd try Xoom without your first hand experiences. Times like this I am glad to be part of this forum. It makes up for the occasional negativity we see in other threads ;0 I'm going for it :)

Anyone tried with Banco de la Nacion? I just went to Xoom's site and it "couldn't find" them...

Heather G said:
Anyone tried with Banco de la Nacion? I just went to Xoom's site and it "couldn't find" them...

That would have been ideal in our case too, as my partner has an account with them. When I spoke to Xoom on the phone, they said Banco de la Nacion has not "joined the partner program yet". I wouldn't hold your breath...

By the way, from reading this thread, I think cash pickup is the best way. Avoids the fee you'd have on the receiving bank account end.

Stafford said:
By the way, from reading this thread, I think cash pickup is the best way. Avoids the fee you'd have on the receiving bank account end.

There are no bank fees. I transferred in pesos from Schwab to Galicia through Xoom, and there were no fees other than Xoom's.

I've just returned from a successful transaction at the libertad "More" branch. As someone else in the thread pointed out, there is ZERO security there. Not even a door buzzer. The tellers sit behind a glass window and the customers are totally on their own. So my partner came with me to be wing man. Whole thing went very smoothly. Here's a piece of advice. When I did the online portion of the transaction, I just gave my street address. I left out the apartment number. The teller also asked me for my local address and she said, "Dept, Piso?" and lied and said "casa". Maybe I'm paranoid, but they don't need to know my apartment. Especially if I am going back to do this on a regular basis.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

I used to use Xoom and we received $ US dollars. However, since the law of Oct 29, 2011 regarding obtaining dollars, I have used Xoom twice--both times receiving the money in pesos. The service is quick and reliable if you don't mind receiving your cash in pesos.

Does anyone know if this will show up as a cash advance on my Chase credit card? I want to get more than I really need here this month to hit my minimum spend to get all of my bonus miles. What do you think? Any real experiences with this?

domthegreat said:
Does anyone know if this will show up as a cash advance on my Chase credit card? I want to get more than I really need here this month to hit my minimum spend to get all of my bonus miles. What do you think? Any real experiences with this?

I believe it will show up as a cash advance. You could always test with a small amount to see.

Back