Votes: 37 60.7%
  • I eat out more than at home, I don’t stick to one cuisine

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other- explain in the comments

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

webteam

Administrator
Have you assimilated to an Argentine diet or do you stick to your diet from back home?

When I was a child we used to cook a lot at home. My grandmother used to love to cook abundant amounts of food, bake bread, make wine, jelly, soap. I used to watch and help her and now that I live here I've revived all of the cooking and bread baking I learned when I was a kid. I haven't made soap or wine though, maybe when I retire!

My cooking skills have exploded since living in Argentina. My average frequency of dining out has steadily declined until now I only go out for special occasions and to try places people especially recommend (and in the latter case I try and tie it into a special occasion).

tez said:
My cooking skills have exploded since living in Argentina. My average frequency of dining out has steadily declined until now I only go out for special occasions and to try places people especially recommend (and in the latter case I try and tie it into a special occasion).

This for the most part.

I eat almost all of my meals at home. I never order delivery (sorry Withers), but my roommate does because he works about 5 times as much as I do, so he has more money and less time.

I eat a fair amount of chicken, but mainly a lot of fruits (especially bananas & oranges), vegetables, walnuts, soups, and eggs. A boat load of eggs.

I keep hard boiled ones in the fridge for a little protein snack. I eat about 2 to 3 yolks a day, but I might eat upwards of 5 egg whites a day. Occasionally more if I've had like a 4 white/2 yolk scramble and then I eat another couple or three hard boiled eggs during the day.

I've been laying off the bread. Even when I buy some good cheese at my German fiambreria I just eat it plain, without bread. I like bread, and DISCO actually makes a great baguette, but it's just not worth the extra weight it packs on.

My roommate is ALWAYS trying new stuff on the weekends. Today he did to ground beef, what Sarki's does with ground lamb. He has some kebob spices he bought in England, added some parsley and it was awesome. He also make an excellent yogurt/cucumber goop to spoon over the meat.

Lots of cooking, but rarely cook Argentine food, because there's just so many better options. And I like spices & herbs and flavors in general, which also rules out most Argentine food.

Then there's out THURSDAY NIGHT SUPPER CLUB. A different person makes dinner each Thursday night. This past week, the Salvadorean/French couple make Mexican-ish tacos & Apple Crumble and Ice Cream for dessert. The week before, an English guy made Steak Tartare for a starter and then kind of beef stew w/baked potatoes. I did an American dinner once with chicken fingers, Creamed Gravy, Ranch, & BBQ dipping sauces and then Chocolate Chip Cookies for dessert. Another English guy made Beef Wellngton. Another time we had "Scottish Eggs".

So we have a nice meal out and it doesn't cost a third of what it would cost at a restaurant. We almost always pitch in and we pay about AR$20-AR$25 each. (Total cost might go over that, but each person takes turns absorbing a bigger hit once every couple of months.) And everyone brings a bottle of wine, so you're really looking at about AR$55-AR$65 for a nice meal and there's NEVER A CUBIERTO!!

We order sushi and peruvian food once in a while. Other than that every meal we eat is cooked from scratch. I eat less than I used to because of the added hassle involved in eating. I miss having good pre-prepared options.

I must say before i never cooked because of my often late working hours, but i have cooked a lot here, now im back to the late working hours, but i will try to cook when i have time...

Back