Has the best way to get USD changed at all?

lostravenblue

Registered
I'm getting ready to pay my rent. Normally, I would go to Western Union with a ton of pesos and buy the USD that way (I have a learning disability, so I'm really bad at haggling.) But with all the upheaval, is there a better way now? Is it worth trying to find blue dollar at the moment? I genuinely can't make sense of the numbers myself.

don't buy dollars from WU they'll rip you off

Find a cueva, if you don't know any there are a few inside Galeria Boston on 147 Florida Street, go up the stairs to the first floor and go right, you should get something within a few percent of blue there.

don't buy dollars from WU they'll rip you off

Find a cueva, if you don't know any there are a few inside Galeria Boston on 147 Florida Street, go up the stairs to the first floor and go right, you should get something within a few percent of blue there.
Can do. And I still bring peso like normal, right?

I just got back, and the rate was 1155 ars to 1 usd. I hope that was a good deal. According to bluedollar.net, the bank rate is 814. Should I have just gone there instead?

According to bluedollar.net, the bank rate is 814. Should I have just gone there instead?
At first after they started this cepo thing they allowed to change 200 dollars at official rate at the bank. Now to be able to do it there is a validation procedure with BCRA, ANSES and something else. So, basically, this option is probably not for you.

Last edited:
I keep missing these jumps in the dollar blue by a day or two. It's true what they say, you can't time the market SMH.

I just got back, and the rate was 1155 ars to 1 usd. I hope that was a good deal. According to bluedollar.net, the bank rate is 814. Should I have just gone there instead?
If you bought dollars in the street and you paid 1155, you did very well.

If you prefer not to carry around large amounts of pesos and deal with cuevas, and you are an Argentine PR or citizen with a tax ID number and both a USD and ARS bank account, you can also buy and sell dollars using apps like Cocos Capital at the "Dolar MEP" rate (you will always see this along with the Dolar blue rates at the tope of infobae.com, for exmaple, to see if better for you to buy the blue at a cueva or the MEP according the exchange rates of the day)

Steps involved using such an app to get dollars are simple:
  • Download and sign up for an app/ online broker account that buys and sells MEP
  • Following the instructions to link you bank accounts in the app
  • Transfer ARS to your app account from a bank account of your own using your online banking or banks app (or even an ATM). That money will usually arrive in your app account the same day.
  • Select the option to buy the amount of dollars desired in the app, pay it with your ARS app account balance
  • About a day later, the USD you purchased will be credited your app account
  • Select the option to "withdraw" the USD from your app account and it will be sent to your USD bank account, usually arriving the same day
  • Go to your bank teller window and withdraw the USD in cash from your USD bank account
It also works in reverse in case you want to send yourself USD from abroad to sell for ARS in the app.

Back