Have to pay Taxes on Social Security income?

surfing

Registered
I posted this question in another thread but since I never got an answer I thought it would be best to make a separate post. As a permanent resident am I supposed to be paying taxes on my U.S. Social Security pension? If so --- how would I even do that? I find it odd that in the whole pensionado residence process there was never any mention of taxes even though the government knows to the penny how much I make each month since I had to submit it to qualify for the residency. I am hopeful that a government pension somehow is not taxable under the worldwide income provision. I asked a local who is an accountant and he said he had no idea. Since it is not taxable in the U.S. it should not be here. But that's me applying logic! :D
PLEASE help with any advice and/or direct experience with this issue. THANKS!

Is it really possible that I am the only one facing this issue? I don't know what else to do. Local accountants don't know and I am certainly not going to go to AFIP and ask directly.
This really has me nervous --- I don't want to owe a pile money (plus penalties) down the road so again I appeal to anyone here who can offer any guidance.
THANKS!

Thanks Lee! But I have contacted two local accountants who both said they didn't know anything about expat tax obligations. If anyone knows an accountant who does I would welcome a referral.

Lee said:
Why not contact an accountant about such an important and certainly legally complex question (dealing with government bullshit). It could be done with a simple consultation over the phone with a tax accountant and you would have your answer once and for all.

If I were you I would sleep better knowing I got the information from an expert rather than someone unknown source via an internet forum...

I am just saying!

I am *almost* positive that you don't have to pay taxes on it. I'll ask my corp accountant here and see if he has any knowledge. I don't believe Argentines pay taxes on their pension payments so why would you?

Thanks so much!!!

citygirl said:
I am *almost* positive that you don't have to pay taxes on it. I'll ask my corp accountant here and see if he has any knowledge. I don't believe Argentines pay taxes on their pension payments so why would you?
Thanks!

citygirl said:

Argentines do pay taxes on their pensions when they earn over a certain amount...

Nikad - jubilacion is taxed here?:confused: I asked a couple of my local friends and they had never heard of anyone paying taxes on their jubilacion.

Anyway, certainly no expert, but I will ask my accountant and hopefully will have some information on Monday.

How would the Argentine government know about your getting U.S. Social Security or about any source of your income? Are your payments deposited into an Argentina bank account?

Back