Having A Baby Here

Hey, everyone is different with their own levels of preference in medical care. "Really not bad" hospitalization while giving birth in a foreign country might be fine for some women...

'Really not bad' can be another way of saying 'pretty good'. But you probably knew that. I wouldn't say perfect becuase of the privacy factor but other than that the experience was good as any we could have expected in the UK. It depends on your personal needs but I think many expat expectant mothers might want to hear other points of view as well as 'Bottom line, don't give birth in a public maternity hospital' which is pretty full on and a little disrespectful as well I'd say..

Just curious. Why "troll"?

T/
Just sounded like he/she wanted to start controversy with an " innocent " question, out of the blue ( first post ). I might be wrong though. Hope this expectant mom adds some input. I for one would like to know what made her want to be in a foreign country and about to give birth without even knowing her options here. She might have an interesting story, who knows.

Just sounded like he/she wanted to start controversy with an " innocent " question, out of the blue ( first post ). I might be wrong though. Hope this expectant mom adds some input. I for one would like to know what made her want to be in a foreign country and about to give birth without even knowing her options here. She might have an interesting story, who knows.

Maybe its an Immaculate Conception?

Is the baby due on 25th December...?

Or maybe December 28th ;) .... I'll bite anyway.

There are decent public hospitals. Most people here don't have expensive private insurance plans and women give birth and have healthy babies in public hospitals every day. It might take some searching to find one you're happy with, but they do exist, and many of the doctors work in both private and public hospitals. You should be fine if it comes to that.

If you want something else, you'll have to pay for it. Either try to get a private insurance plan (which is going to cost you if they're willing to take you -- since you'll most likely need to buy a premium plan and pay ahead) or pay a hospital out of pocket. Honestly, compared to the US, $6500 doesn't sound that bad... but keep in mind that complications may arise so that may just be the beginning.

And I thought I was a procrastinator. ;) Best of luck.

I have friends who gave birth in public hospitals. Maybe they don`t have the leather couches, swimming pool, HD tvs of some of the private places (who on earth is using the swimming pool anyway??) but the doctors are good. If you have left this up to two weeks before you are due, I hope you have at least seen an obstetrician along the way so that there is at least some prep as to potential complications. I believe this person is a troll as well.

It would help if the poster gave us more details. It sounds as if you've been travelling for a while.

If you can't pay cash and don't have medical insurance then you'll just have to accept what is available to you....it's not that bad especially in an emergency.

Back