Having A Hard Time Finding A Job In Argentina

i cant imagine anywhere in the south with high salaries, unless you are workin for some oil exploration firm.

i am likely wrong, but i would guess the salary range would depend on whether you got your mba at wharton or university of phoenix

I would say the opposite, almost any place in the south have better salaries than Capital with very few extensions, and oil/energy/mining jobs are almost all the jobs you can have in the south, that and maybe electronic industry jobs or government jobs, i have many friends with and without degree that never left from the south and they are making what i would call stupid money, in the other side i came study and become an accountant in Buenos Aires and while I’m getting what i can say is a good salary in no way is even near to what my friends in Neuquén and Ushuaia are doing, in the other hand in the south you depend more on contacts to get jobs and that is not good if you don't have family there or someone to put you in.

i shouild have guessed things have changed since i lived in bariloche in 99- back then all of us were makin way more here than there, but mostly teachin english and low level marketing jobs...but living in nequen, not sure i could stomach that, even if salaries are a bit higher..

i shouild have guessed things have changed since i lived in bariloche in 99- back then all of us were makin way more here than there, but mostly teachin english and low level marketing jobs...but living in nequen, not sure i could stomach that, even if salaries are a bit higher..

Normally the real difference in salaries are when you go more to the south, Bariloche is not exactly the place as Rio Negro is not a province blessed by petrol or gas production or even huge state in relation to the population, you have to go to places like ushuaia or Neuquen or any place in the south beside Rio Negro (Santa Cruz, Tierra del Fuego, Chubut), it is true that then is a matter of what kind of place you prefer to live in and what weather, but in what salary regards they are higher more to the south you go, and getting a job there is more about the contacts and easy if you have family there but more difficult if you don't.

Then you have provinces like San Luis where the unemployment rates are around 1% and the only people that don't have employ is the one that don't want it, in the other extreme you have provinces like Salta with a unemployment of 10%, Capital Federal in the other hand have a 5,5% unemployment, and the north provinces around 10% .
Now to put this in context and in a city level, Bahia Blanca is the city with the highest unemployment rate in the country as you can read here http://www.bhi.com.a...-alto-pais.html , and to not have proper contact to get a job there is only make it more difficult for you to get a job in there so the way to go is or moving to another city or asking the family of your husband if they have a work for you. The big problem of Bahia is that the university UNS have a very good level and lot of student in relation to the size of the city, many of them stay the first years getting experience in the city for any amount of money they can get and then move away for better salaries outside (normally the south or center of the country), this make it a very difficult market to get job in as is full of university students that need to get experience on the start and accept any salary.

Now that you all know why I'm here, I can't begin to express my big concern with this unemployment issue: whether I'll be able to find anything at all, and/or how long it will take before I can find something. As a professional woman, I'm going nuts being home all day long. The good thing is that I'm spending quality time with my kids, but then the thought of whether I'm doing the right thing by trying to settle here has been lately in the back of my head.

Yes, I can legally work here. I got what they call the "CUIL". I have 3 questions:

1. If we were to decide to move to Capital Federal, someone said he/she would refer me to his/her firm. What kind of firm is it?

2. What's would be the salary range in Capital for a bilingual professional with USA university degrees and work experience? (I recently got a job offer by one of the Big 4's in Capital Federal, but it wasn't convincing).

3. Where in the South of Argentina would there be available jobs with high salaries? Which cities? (someone mentioned it in one of the postings).

Thanks again for all your comments! :)

JP

I think that one of the issues is that there are a lot of people here with great qualifications (including degrees from top international universities) wanting the same jobs and able to accept lower salaries (because they already have a family home, etc). You don't mention how many years of experience you have but, from people I know here working in similar business/finance sectors, I'd say that with 10 or so years of experience, a great salary would be 18-20 thou pesos/month. I think, more realistically, you'd be looking at around 12-15.

I am on the same boat, it is really difficult to get a job if you don't know anyone inside of the company. Unfortunately people here priories your contacts than your qualification/experience.

This pops up in some form or another in every job thread, why do people think this is an Argentine thing? This is how employment happens in THE WORLD. Almost nobody gets good jobs from job boards. You have a much better chance of getting a good job from a forum like this than from a site like jobs.

I think that one of the issues is that there are a lot of people here with great qualifications (including degrees from top international universities) wanting the same jobs and able to accept lower salaries (because they already have a family home, etc). You don't mention how many years of experience you have but, from people I know here working in similar business/finance sectors, I'd say that with 10 or so years of experience, a great salary would be 18-20 thou pesos/month. I think, more realistically, you'd be looking at around 12-15.

No way, nobody with the OPs qualifications argentina or foriegner would take a job at 12, at least not in capital.

To state the obvious..you arent having a hard time finding A job it's finding THE job you think you will find that seems to be your issue. On the one hand you seem to want to have A job to get out of the house and have a structured day away from the kids (understandable) but on the other hand you got an offer from the Big 4 already..so you're employable but not at the level you want. How on earth did you not do basic employment research before moving your entire family here if a very well paid job was so important to you? Baffling...Kids suffer a lot with a move so I hope you can stick it out for their sakes...

No way, nobody with the OPs qualifications argentina or foriegner would take a job at 12, at least not in capital.

Like I said, I know of several people in the banking/finance sectors with similar qualifications and around10 years of experience earning 12-15k.
Obviously, if the OP has 20 years of experience, it would be a different matter but still, I know a director of a fairly large organisation (not a bank though) earning 20k. The salaries here, unless you have your own successful business or are the top dog of something, aren't at all comparable to those abroad

Agreed - I know quite a few people with 10+ years of experience that are earning in the 12-15K range a month as well. That's for a mid level manager.

Agreed - I know quite a few people with 10+ years of experience that are earning in the 12-15K range a month as well. That's for a mid level manager.

really? a relatively junior manager makes 16 plus bonus at one of the big four....and these are the worst paying companies in argentina.
according to a recent survey, a "jefe" earns 17-25 ARS and a manager is currently making betweeen 18 and 35, depending on the industry....

Back