Having a surprisingly hard time selling an iPhone in CABA

SpanishGuy

Registered
I came here 4 weeks ago and brought with me an unopened iPhone 13 Pro. Theoretically as a way to have some extra cash down here. I see they are often priced on Mercado Libre (the cheapest new ones) for around 1500 usd.

However, I've posted all over Facebook groups, marketplace and MercadoLibre (where my publication doesn't even show up because I don't have a reputation there) and... nothing.

I'd even sell it cheap to get rid of it, but there's almost like there's no demand. I guess I feel like an idiot for trying to take advantage of the higher electronics prices here. Any suggestions?

We don't want your stolen goods here, Spanish Guy.

Perhaps that was too obscure -- is a riff off the "we don't want your drugs here" scene in Trading Places.

We don't want your stolen goods here, Spanish Guy.

Perhaps that was too obscure -- is a riff off the "we don't want your drugs here" scene in Trading Places.
Maybe something to watch tonight then. Haha. I'm neither Spanish or a thief. Not that those are mutually exclusive.

I'd even sell it cheap to get rid of it, but there's almost like there's no demand. I guess I feel like an idiot for trying to take advantage of the higher electronics prices here. Any suggestions?
You should not feel stupid. I also travel here with 2 iPhones, but I give one away as a gift to a local girlfriend. You might try that. There would be no shortage of demand.

I asked a local woman about selling a phone and she said a 13pro would attract the wrong kind of attention. Better to try an older model. A 12 is still a very good (and expensive) phone in Argentina.

You would be able to sell it most probably among locals that know you and trust you

I did the same thing years back, everyone said I'd make a great profit. Couldn't find a buyer. Ended up about breaking even, and of course the buyer tried to negotiate down below our agreed upon price.

Learned there were groups that bought wholesale in other countries and sent them here via a network of pilots and flight attendants, selling for slightly above US prices.

I did the same thing years back, everyone said I'd make a great profit. Couldn't find a buyer. Ended up about breaking even, and of course the buyer tried to negotiate down below our agreed upon price.

Learned there were groups that bought wholesale in other countries and sent them here via a network of pilots and flight attendants, selling for slightly above US prices.

I finally seem to be having some interest from the WhatsApp/Slack digital nomad groups. I guess it makes sense... but we'll see if I actually manage to sell it. But I think you're right. No local is probably going to buy a 1500 dollar phone.

If you can't find a buyer it means you are asking too much.It's a supply / demand issue. Middle-upper class travels to Miami all the time and buy their iPhones there. Lower-middle class usually have androids or second hand iPhones -- they cannot afford to buy a brand new one. Thats why it's easier to sell used electronics here than new ones.

M
If you can't find a buyer it means you are asking too much.It's a supply / demand issue. Middle-upper class travels to Miami all the time and buy their iPhones there. Lower-middle class usually have androids or second hand iPhones -- they cannot afford to buy a brand new one. Thats why it's easier to sell used electronics here than new ones.
That makes a lot of sense.

Back