Heading to BA next week, customs questions

uh123b

Registered
Hey all,

1) I'm planning on bringing a good amount of personal electronics with me for my time in Argentina...Will customs give me trouble?

2) Aside from paying rent in USD, is there any other need for US currency? Thanks!

1. Don't declare any of this. Customs won't give you any trouble

2. ATMs give you pesos at a very unfavorable rate compared to the Casas de Cambio, I would bring as much as you feel comfortable having on you. You can carry up to 10000 USD with out declaring it.

PhilipDT said:
2. ATMs give you pesos at a very unfavorable rate compared to the Casas de Cambio, I would bring as much as you feel comfortable having on you. You can carry up to 10000 USD with out declaring it.

If you have the Charles Schwab checking account, you'll get a great rate with no foreign transaction fees and a refund of all ATM fees (about $14 pesos each time). Other cards will vary...

Sleuth said:
If you have the Charles Schwab checking account, you'll get a great rate with no foreign transaction fees and a refund of all ATM fees (about $14 pesos each time). Other cards will vary...

Yes but the casas de cambio are offering up to 4.30 for the dollar. Is schwab even coming close?

PhilipDT is right.

Actually banks and exchange shops, buys you dolar notes at $4,11 and sells at $4,16
But now here, the equivalente of the IRS (AFIP) is controlling a lot, so people avoid this by buying under the table.
You can get 4.25-4.32 offering to the right? people

Would exchanging dollars for pesos at EZE be a good idea? If not, could anyone recommend a good bank/currency exchange? Also--what's the minimum (or worst) dollar to peso exchange rate that I should accept? Official numbers seem to be around 4.1AR --> 1USD. Thanks again!

PhilipDT said:
Yes but the casas de cambio are offering up to 4.30 for the dollar. Is schwab even coming close?

They're giving $4.10 (the day's exchange rate). Where are you getting 4.30? www.dolarhoy.com doesn't list anything that high.

uh123b said:
Would exchanging dollars for pesos at EZE be a good idea? If not, could anyone recommend a good bank/currency exchange? Also--what's the minimum (or worst) dollar to peso exchange rate that I should accept? Official numbers seem to be around 4.1AR --> 1USD. Thanks again!

EZE, no they give you a horrible rate (3.5 or something?). I wouldn't accept any rate lower than 4.0 unless I was desperate. I think most banks are trading at similar rates. Last time I withdrew from Galicia it was 4.1 (but with Schwab account, mind you).

With Schwab, I always get a better rate than most of the casas de cambio.

$4.30 is what you'll get if you actually sell the dollars to someone en negro. The so-called "mercado paralelo" for dollars.

TravisJames said:
EZE, no they give you a horrible rate (3.5 or something?). I wouldn't accept any rate lower than 4.0 unless I was desperate. I think most banks are trading at similar rates. Last time I withdrew from Galicia it was 4.1 (but with Schwab account, mind you).

If you go to the Banco de la Nación sucursal in Ezeiza Airport you'll get a decent rate.

Back